Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 BallHead

WhiteLight

Hi guys,

Finally, my tripod & ball head arrived.
I had ordered for the 055xprob & 498RC4 ball head, but the RC4 was not in stock, so got it replaced with the RC2.
Looks sturdy and feels great (specially since i was using a $10 tripod which came free with the cam)

My early gripes:
1) no lock for the ball head on the tripod head. you just screw it on and leave it & it can just as easily be unscrewed. I was experimenting on panning (Which i still haven't quite figured out) & the head itself started loosening itself.

2) Just attached the cam to take a few pics of the moon & there seems to be some play in the position. After fixing up and tightening the head looking through the view finder, i see that the cam moves a cm or so. Not sure if am not doing it right.

3) wish they would supply a decent manual with the tripod and ball head. the ones provided are quite useless with safety and the regular stuff, but hardly a couple of lines on attaching the tripod and ball head & the various modes of usage.

4) No tripod bag! the manfrotto bags (MBAG series) which need to be purchased separately seem quite expensive.

Am quite happy since this is my first & hopefully only tripod as i thin this should serve any requirement

Last edited:

fotojack

Hi guys,

Finally, my tripod & ball head arrived.
I had ordered for the 055xprob & 498RC4 ball head, but the RC4 was not in stock, so got it replaced with the RC2.
Looks sturdy and feels great (specially since i was using a $10 tripod which came free with the cam)

My early gripes:
1) no lock for the ball head on the tripod head. you just screw it on and leave it & it can just as easily be unscrewed. I was experimenting on panning (Which i still haven't quite figured out) & the head itself started loosening itself.

2) Just attached the cam to take a few pics of the moon & there seems to be some play in the position. After fixing up and tightening the head looking through the view finder, i see that the cam moves a cm or so. Not sure if am not doing it right.

3) wish they would supply a decent manual with the tripod and ball head. the ones provided are quite useless with safety and the regular stuff, but hardly a couple of lines on attaching the tripod and ball head & the various modes of usage.

4) No tripod bag! the manfrotto bags (MBAG series) which need to be purchased separately seem quite expensive.

Am quite happy since this is my first & hopefully only tripod as i thin this should serve any requirement

Check this out: Manfrotto 498rc2 review - YouTube

Robert Mitchell

I have the same tripod legs and a different Manfrotto head. Sorry, I actually don't know the model number offhand, but there are set screws that come in from the bottom of the plate and lock down the ball head after it's tightened down to the plate. I beat the heck out of my tripod and the head has never come loose.

Do you have those set screws? I think they're standard issue on the Manfrotto tripods.

From what I've seen, only the inexpensive lightweight Manfrotto tripods come with the bag. Once you start assembling the components yourself you don't get a bag. Perhaps some of the 'kits' that come with the legs and ball head come with the bag. Not sure about that.

WhiteLight

I have the same tripod legs and a different Manfrotto head. Sorry, I actually don't know the model number offhand, but there are set screws that come in from the bottom of the plate and lock down the ball head after it's tightened down to the plate. I beat the heck out of my tripod and the head has never come loose.

Do you have those set screws? I think they're standard issue on the Manfrotto tripods.

From what I've seen, only the inexpensive lightweight Manfrotto tripods come with the bag. Once you start assembling the components yourself you don't get a bag. Perhaps some of the 'kits' that come with the legs and ball head come with the bag. Not sure about that.

Yep, found the screws & tightened them.
Not a very convenient locking system is it? But it serves the purpose i guess!
It is tighter now, hope it won't come off.

Checking some bags out. i like the manfrotto bags, will see if i can find something soon

Robert Mitchell

Glad that worked out for you. I guess some people need to remove the ball head or switch them around often. For me, once I tightened those screws down I pretty much knew I wasn't going to be taking the head off unless I was getting a new one, so after the initial tightening I wan't concerned about that particular (in)convenience. :)

The only way I can see it coming off is if you're shy with the screw drive and don't tighten it down sufficiently. I've had the head mounted for about a year with a lot of abuse and location shooting out of the studio. Those screws are as tight as the day I tightened them. If you're feeling insecure about that you can always back the screws out a little and add a drop of Loctite and then tighten. Those screws surely won't come out unless you intend on removing them.

Good luck in your search for a bag.