D7000 ultra wide angle decision

ideacipher

I recently upgraded from a D60 to D7000. I'm planing on selling my D60 and will be including the 18-55 kit lens. When I shoot wider than 50mm it's usually as wide as I can go or close to it. I was looking at the first copy of the Tokina 12-24 as an option after I sale the other outfit. The second edition with better flare control and of course the Tokina 11-16 with its speed look tempting as well but may be a little out of my budget right now.

I may be able to get close to the price of the first run 12-24 out of my d60 and extras so I'm leaning toward that as my next lens. I really don't shoot into the sun very often so flare may not even be an issue. I love wide landscapes and take a lot of shots where the 12-24 range would come in handy. Also I hear the Tokina build quality is great.

I'll miss the little 18-55 VR though it's super light and sharp but not quite wide enough. I have my 50mm which covers the bulk of my shooting and the 55-200 that covers the long end.

Do any of you use the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X Pro DX
as a walk around lens? Also if anyone has better options in the 400-450 price range to fill the gap that would be great.

Claudia!

I recently purchased the tokina 11-16 DX II and i absolutely love it. It was my first "expensive" lens that I purchased. Have you considered the first version of the 11-16? They dropped the price down to 599. I tend to see them on craigslist here and there for about 400 typically. Maybe you can consider purchasing a used one. A few people who had the first one are selling it for the new one so they are out there a little bit more than normal since the DX II was released in the US.

ideacipher

Thanks for the input Claudia! Do you find the 11-16 range works for walking around? I guess I'm asking if it becomes a specialty lens in your kit. I can see using the 12-24 range a lot but if 11-16 works and I can get a faster lens that may be a better choice after all.

D12345678

I've been using the first version of the Tokina 11-16 on my D7000 for about a year now and have been extremely impressed with it from day one. I'm quite sure most people would enjoy the wider 11-16 more than say 12-24, as it simply creates more dramatic looking photos. It's very sharp when used in good light, with perfect colour rendition, although a little tricky to use at times. Due to the weight though, i'm not sure it would be an ideal "walk around" lens? I purchased mine at a reduced price here in Australia, so i'm sure it's worth shopping around, checking ebay and so on until a bargain pops up.

ideacipher

D123456789 - A lot of people walk around all the time with the 18-200 and that is a tad over the weight of the 11-16. I used a 18-200 on a trip with a lot of walking and wasn't bothered that much by the weight. Personally I prefer the 18-55/55-200 over the 18-200 but that's another thing altogether.

Guess I'll be keeping an eye out for a 11-16 deal and the 12-24 in my my rear view. When it comes to glass unless there is a rating system I'm a little uneasy on buying.

Thanks again for the input. I know there has been many times I have needed 11mm, the frame just fills so quick at 18mm on those shots.

Rick M

I had the nikon 10-24, awesome lens, good for walking around with the wider range. I would recommend either the Tonkina or Nikon.

Claudia!

The weight of the lens is not an issue ANYMORE. The only thing is if you are only planning to shoot landscapes and photos with a cool effect such as what furgus posted, then use it. If you want an all in one lens then this is not the lens. It is not my walk around lens because it really is not the all in one lens. I normally have my 35mm or my zoom. I just step back when I need more in the frame. I never really understood what they meant that wide angles really do distort or stretch faces but now I do. I cannot take a normal portrait photo with this lens. Even though it makes a cool effect, it is not always what people are going for. At the end of the day, I did not buy this lens for anything but landscape. It is definitely a great lens to have. I am still learning it. I do love the 11mm though. If you have FB look at the following group for examples of what the lens and photographer can do. Like I said, I am still learning mine (Im a newbie myself) but it won't be returning back to the store. I can't wait to go on a very scenic vacation.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tokina116prodx/

ideacipher

Think I'm switching gears back to the 12-24. The 11-16 has the speed and great reviews. Not to mention the amazing pictures by its users (I checked out the facebook page and very nice). I feel the 12-24 range gives me a little more walk around ability. Do I like the idea of having a 11mm yes but being locked into 11-16 and only a 50mm to back it up when needed I'm rethinking things. The range of the 12-24 fits into my style a little more.

When I needed wider I couldn't step back at 18 it was more like shoot whats in frame or stitch later. Funny how 18mm can feel cramped when you are shooting out in the open.

Really wish we had a real camera store around here. At one time we did but they all went belly up :( We used to be able to try out lenses, now the only option is renting and that isn't as cheep as it seems.

ideacipher

I would love to shoot with a 10-24 Nikkor but it's a little over my budget. Well twice what I want to spend. If money wasn't an object I would jump on that one for sure. That is a really nice lens. Just trying to stay around the 400-500 mark or a little over if the right lens comes around.

Mestre

I have several pics using my Sigma 10-20 f/3,5 gere in the forum, most of them taken with a D7000.

It is quiet interesting lens, with a good focal length flexbility in DX format and just 1/2 stop slow than the 11-16 Tokina.

The only constraint of this lens is the 82mm filter thread, this big filters are quiet expensive.

ideacipher

Well the D60 kit brought 320 so I went with my original idea of the Tokina 12-24. Right out of the box I could feel the build quality. It balance's perfectly on the D7000 I really like way it feels on the camera. Focus and zoom rings are very fluid. I actually like the pull/push af/mf but wish I had it on a lens that you would need it more. Since I had to work today by the time I got off most of the shooting was around the house but so far I'm loving this lens. The extra 6mm is something to get used to. It is wide but not weird looking wide. I shot mostly at F5.6 and the indoor shots turned out great. I noticed pretty quick that I would have to use the SB600 if flash was in order (flash backs of macros before my homemade snoot came to be). Can't wait to shoot some scapes. Got a trip to Chicago coming up so I'll have a chance to get some day and night shoots. I'll also try it on street and metro.

Learning a new camera and lens so the shots may not be the best at first but hopefully I'll pick it up quick.

ideacipher

lol yeah they are pretty bright. Good tips. I've shot in Chicago before and it's a lot like New York people don't care much. In the metro will be the test. Sometimes even in New York people would get a little spooked if the camera was out while on the metro. Waiting on the train people do not care what is going on except the arrival of the next train.

If you take a photo at 24mm and another at 12 mm from the same positon what you must remember is that you have 4x the visual information in the shot so the picture framed at 24 mm is now spread over only 4 mp of your frame.........and they say pixels dont count ......

Helitech

Glad you like the 12-24! I was in the same predicament while my brothers were visiting me here in Japan... As cramped as the cities are and as breathtaking the countryside is, this lens was perfect... Still far from being a walk around though... I carried my 18-200 with me for anything not landscape related... Either way, enjoy the lense!

ideacipher

If you take a photo at 24mm and another at 12 mm from the same positon what you must remember is that you have 4x the visual information in the shot so the picture framed at 24 mm is now spread over only 4 mp of your frame.........and they say pixels dont count ......

Can you explain further? I'm new to anything wider than 18 on a DX and find this very interesting.