Hello from NW Montana

Montana Michael

Hi all,

found this site using Google search and glad i did. i have spent the last couple hours reading posts on all kinds of subjects. i am new to the digital photography world and looking forward to learning so much and seeing progress hopefully with the quality of my pictures. i have had a point and shoot camera and had some photos that really turned out good but wanted more options when taking photos. i had read so many reviews on cameras and gear that it took me over a month to decide. my current camera is a Nikon D 3100 with the 18-55 lens included plus i purchased the 55-200 zoom as well. i have 2 filters, one for UV and the other for circular polarizing. i am going to order a wireless shutter release that another user recommended from this site soon. plus i have 2 sandisk extreme SDHC 16 GB memory cards. i also have an extra battery and a charger for my vehicle. i am considering a couple books as well but i am going to wait on those until i can find some recommendations in these forums. the books i am considering are written by Bryan Peterson about understanding exposure and shutter speed. i am also considering the 3100 for dummies book too. a friend sent me a digital copy of "Light – Science & Magic: 3rd edition" by Focal Press.

thanks again for this site and all the information it contains!

fotojack

Welcome to Nikonites, Michael. Let me guess......from Montana? ;)

Hope you find the answers to your questions here, and have fun while doing it. :) Enjoy.

RockyNH_RIP

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Nikonites... I am also a new DSLR user and found this a great place to learn... Hope you find it as I did, warm and friendly.

Pat in NH

Eye-level

Banned
Hello Michael

Sounds as if you have a great kit...post some snaps!

The books from Scott Kelby will help you more than any other IMO...Digital Photography I and Digital Photography II I think they are called...I had them...absorbed them...and passed them on...I would say for someone new to the hobby there are none better. :)

KWJams

Welcome from Billings.
Sounds like you are cultivating your new Nikon interests the right way.
One book that I highly recommend is -->
Nikon D3100: From Snapshots to Great Shots: Jeff Revell: 9780321754547: Amazon.com: Books
You can browse sample pages at that link to get a feel of how well it is written. The thing I like about it is that each feature of your camera is explained and then examples of pictures taken utilizing each feature is a tremendous help to fully understand your new camera.

Tami Jo

Welcome to the site Michael! You are going to learn so much form everyone here. Read through the thread on your camera model when you get a chance. That is a great place to start. The book by Bryan Peterson about understanding exposure is a definite. It will really help you. I have it and refer back to it when I have a question or have mind overload. There is so much to learn and while in the process it is easy to forget things that you haven't really had the opportunity to apply. Retention is best when all those techniques and concepts are put to work. At least I have found that to be true. There are several really terrific books out there but at the moment their titles seem to escape me. Keep reviewing the forums and so great recommendations are sure to follow. Congrats on your new Nikon DSLR, you are going to love it!

Howdy Michael! I have a brother that lives in Kalispell and loves the area. Your intro sounds like it could have been me writing it. I have been on several sites before I found a "home" here. Real people, not snobs. I am still pretty low on the learning curve but have found several helpful things. I got a Magic Lantern book on the D3100, DPS has a lot of articles and some good ebooks and this site of course. The most important thing is to keep clicking. Just like a child learning the alphabet, we learn by rote.

Dave