Weatherproofing

M

macjim

So, the D600 is weatherproofed... But are the lenses? Or are they? Does anyone know whether te kit zoom is also weatherproofed or is this going to be a problem to watch out for?

Cheers, Macjim.

Rick M

Lenses vary on "weatherproofing". The "kit" lens does have a gasket which helps keep dust out of the lens and body. thats about all you'll get unless you get into pro lenses which are more weatherproofed. As far as I am concerned, no camera or lens is weatherproof and always limit exposure.

M

macjim

Yeah, I thought that was the case. It was earlier today that it hit me when I looked at an article on the web —
http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d600 — and there's a really wet camera and lens shown. And that's when I realised that, yes, the camera was weatherproofed but probably not. I hope that lens still works • see the photo in the review!

Cheers, Macjim.

friedmud

That lens in the photographylife review is the 24-70G which is a pro grade lens and is supposed to be fully weather sealed... and it's one of the reasons I bought that lens to go with my D600 ;-)

I often had my Canon 7D in the rain. With the Canon 70-200 f/4L IS (which is completely weather sealed) it's not an issue at all. To my eye the D600 feels like it is a bit less sealed than my 7D so I'm going to try to avoid getting it too wet. But, I do mostly outdoor photography so it's going to get wet eventually...

Watoh

Can anyone tell me how weatherproof the D600 actually is?

Obviously lens are a different story with lots of types etc.. but the body itself.. how much rain can it endure?

​Is it waterproof, splashproof, moisture resistant or is it just marketing speal?

Thanks for any advice.

BackdoorArts

Not "weatherproof", it's "weather-sealed". Huge difference. As it states under the photo in the article, "the camera should be able to survive in light rain, dust and humid environments without getting damaged."

Watoh

Thanks for the clarification... hmmm now to define light rain and duration it can take. :)

I assume the rule is to subject it to as little as possible!

I've seen those plastic cover thingies that look cheap & likely effective.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

NVSteve

Not "weatherproof", it's "weather-sealed". Huge difference. As it states under the photo in the article, "the camera should be able to survive in light rain, dust and humid environments without getting damaged."

Yeah, it's back to clear plastic bags for me. About the only thing I miss from my Oly E-3 is the weathersealing. No way will I subject the D600 to the same as I did with the Oly, at least not without a bag. Same goes for the lenses. Having kept my eye on Nikon bodies throughout the digital era, it always annoyed me to death that nowhere does Nikon say or list which lenses are (somewhat) sealed & which are not. A gold ring does not equate weather sealing, nor does a gasket on the lens mount. I posted this elsewhere, but the folks at lensrentals take apart their lenses often for repair. When they took apart the 70-200 VRII "pro" lens, they found a gasket in the front and one in the rear on the mount. Nothing else inbetween, like under the zoom and focus rings. I had vowed never to get another camera I would need to bag, since I'm so anti-bag, but man oh man is the D600 sensor worth the pain. Even with the oil & dust issues I've been having.

Last edited: