Tripod

Maureen59

As a total newbie not only to photography but to cameras and equipment, I was wondering what type of tripod should I buy. Does it depend on what I am photographing or should I just get one. Any advice would be much appreciated please.

fotojack

Hi Maureen. Welcome to Nikonites. :) To answer your question.....find out how much your camera and heaviest lens weigh together. Then double that number. Use that number to determine the weight bearing capability of not only the tripod, but the ball head that you'll be using to mount it all on. I always recommend getting the best tripod you can afford without going nuts over it. :) Look at sites like Manfrotto, Giotto, Slik....there are numerous manufacturers to choose from. some are made from carbon fiber, some are aluminum, and some are even made from composite materials. The whole idea is to eliminate camera shake. My personal preference is a Manfrotto 055 model tripod with a 496RC2 ball head. Others opinion may be different. It all comes down to what you like, and your wallet. :) Hope this helps. Any further questions, just ask. :)

wysiwyg

Hi Maureen

A tripod is probably one of the items that you buy only once - unless of course your needs change drastically. The tripod itself is dependant on your preferences - for example if you photographed landscapes most of the time and were a rambler , walking miles to get to your final destination -then the total weight and size would probably be more important to you than a lot of other people. If you were running around a football field shooting sports - then probably a monopod would suffice. For general use -any good steady tripod would be good- try them out in the store to see which one you prefer. The actual head however is more important for different types of photography (IMHO) .. for my portraits of active kids I like to use a joystick style ball head for easy quick adjustments and for landscapes I use a 3 way head.

stmv

and factor in how mobile you want. Over time, might have more then one tripod. For me, I like the heavier tripod for the windy days, or in the house, the mid weight for when I still want to have a solid tripod, but the heavy one just is too bulky, and well, then there is the light weight one for the back pack.

While my heavyweight and midweight has lots of choice, I really had trouble buying a light weight one. Tried Manfrotto, had a failure, try another pricy one, did not like the leg mechanism, end up with a really low cost SLIK. so, price is not always the factor.

so,, message, you need a tripod that is easy, quick change-up, and fits your weight goal. After all, a tripod left home is of little use on those critical shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pierro

Great advice already. I have both a monopod and tripod for the reasons stated. Those 2 seem to cover what i need. The other thing is, and rather more personal, is that i dont like ball heads, and prefer tilt and pans heads. Try both before you commit money. You dont have to buy any tripod that already has a head fitted. They can be bought without so you can take your pick of either ballhead or pan and tilt head.

John P

Check out the Ravelli APGL4 on Amazon. I have put mine through hell.
Definitely my favorite tripod. And very affordable.