Upgrading from a D70s

D70S

Hello fellow Nikon users, I am thinking of updating to the D7000 or D90 from my D70s. Tjhe reason for that is because My D70s doesnt really get clear pictures with high iso, and alot of noise. also, I would love to have video mode on my camera also since I used to use a video camera to record takeoffs and landings(not on plane, on the ground). so any thoughts? I also welcome any opinions on other cameras such as D3100 and D5100, I heard theyre also great cameras. thnx!

Rick M

I've had both of those (D3100 and D5100) and would go straight to the D7000 for the controls.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
My first dSLR was a D70s, loved that camera. Yes, it isn't a low light hero but a solid camera and very user friendly. I'd suggest the D7000 over the D90 due simply to the newer EXPEED-2 processor and a second flash memory slot. That is assuming you're stuck on upgrading to another DX body. If you're not married to the DX format you may want to consider either the D600 or D800, both using the newest EXPEED-3 processor and both are excellent cameras.

Tami Jo

Regardless of which of those two you end up choosing you'll end up with a great quality camera. I have the D7000 and love it. Choose the one that best fits your budget and your needs. Upgrading can get costly but you will be able to use your current lenses on either model. That will help keep your initial cost down and you can gradually add new lenses. How soon are you planning on purchasing this new camera? I bet we will see many of Nikon's line on sale with the holiday season around the corner.

sourab89

Both D90 and D7000 are similar in nature. D7000 is like a big brother to D90 ! :) You can go for the D90 if your budget is low, else take D7000. Both have auto focus motor which is a great advantage for 50mm 1.8D lens. D90/D7000 will help you take Non AF lenses easily !
D7000 gives brilliant performance at low light.

Nikon Photographer

That's the main reason I upgraded my D70 to the D90 because of the high noise at higher ISO settings, but still kept the D70 as a back up, as it really is a cracking camera when used in good light

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
D90 or D7000 are both great cameras. If you can afford it, get the newer D7000. It will keep it's resale value more than the D90 IMHO. I'd stay away from the smaller 3100,3200 that don't have internal focusing motors.

AC016

Hello fellow Nikon users, I am thinking of updating to the D7000 or D90 from my D70s. Tjhe reason for that is because My D70s doesnt really get clear pictures with high iso, and alot of noise. also, I would love to have video mode on my camera also since I used to use a video camera to record takeoffs and landings(not on plane, on the ground). so any thoughts? I also welcome any opinions on other cameras such as D3100 and D5100, I heard theyre also great cameras. thnx!

Welcome D70s! Well, it seems like you would like a DSLR with good video functions.
" I would love to have video mode on my camera also since I used to use a video camera to record takeoffs and landings(not on plane, on the ground). "

With this statement, i would suggest the D5100. I say this because the 5100 has a swivel screen. You can swing it out and move it up or down,just like on an actual video camera. That way, you can put your camera on a tripod, swing out the screen and use live view to record those beautiful take offs and landings! No reason to bend down and crane your neck to look at what you are focusing on. Further, the 5100 is amazing in low light! It has the same processor and sensor as the 7000. In essence, the 5100 is a 7000, but in a smaller body and with more menu driven controls.

However, if all your current lenses are not self driven, then the 5100 is not for you. 5100 does not have an in-body focus motor. In that case, you would need to go to D7000 which has an in-body focus motor - don't bother with the D90 if you have the cash for the D7k, which is under a thousand bucks right now.

I think that your decision lies between the D7k and the D5100. If you have a bunch of lenses that need their AF driven by a camera, then the choice is simple: D7K. If not, then D5100 and you get the same guts as a D7k and nice video features. Good luck!

Dave_W

The Dude
With this statement, i would suggest the D5100. I say this because the 5100 has a swivel screen.

I'm thinking he's in the same position I was when upgrading from the D70s and is setting on several D lenses and wouldn't be able to use the AF function on the D5100. Which I assume is the reason he has narrowed down his choices between the D90 and D7000. Frankly, I'm surprised Nikon didn't add those servos on the D5100 because they're not all that expensive and would have opened up the D5100 to a lot more potential users coming up from earlier models that have those servos. But if he's not sitting on a bunch of D lenses then you're right, a D5100 would be worth considering.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
. Frankly, I'm surprised Nikon didn't add those servos on the D5100 because they're not all that expensive and would have opened up the D5100 to a lot more potential users coming up from earlier models that have those servos. But if he's not sitting on a bunch of D lenses then you're right, a D5100 would be worth considering.

Maybe it's not the money, but the space the motor would take in the body. Remember that the 5100, 3100, 3200 are quite smaller in size when compared with the D90, 7000, 300...

aced19

D70S
I've owned all three cameras.
The D90 is a great camera but you will find its limitations depending on what you shoot.
With the D7000 and the right lens you can shot whatever you want in any light conditions.
So bite the bullet and buy the D7000. You will not regret it after you see what you can do with it.

eurotrash

I do think that the D7k has better quality images simply because of the internal guts. True, the 5100 and 7k have the same processor. But when comparing the images, the d7k has a noticeably "truer" quality to it, even with the same lens compared on both bodies. The images are a little sharper, a little bit more fluid and well defined. I boil this down to the quality and build of the hardware surrounding the sensor that the D7k has, not primarily the sensor itself.

One of the reasons I sprang for the D7k was that I could use older non cpu lenses. Have I done this? NOPE. I went ahead and bought the newer AFS lenses instead! If you have a ton laying around, sure it might be a good idea.

The other reason was for the dedicated buttons. I frequently find myself in situations where diving into a menu driven control schema simply isn't an option and I will miss shots because of it. If you don't feel pressured when photographing, you won't miss that feature too much. If you're shooting a paid event however...

Now, I've owned both, and speaking from experience, you can't go wrong with either. Budget plays into your decision.

Last edited: