Soft Box facts to look for

Nikonite1222

Hi There Everybody-

I have a situation that I need help on. I am in the market for some medium to large soft boxes. I have two (2) Alien Bees' SB800's and love them. Now, I want to get some soft boxes and the like to accessorize them and give me more shooting options, but in my search, I have found so many, from top name brands to the cheaper ones on E-Bay, the sizes are the same but beyond the internal diffusion material and the silver reflective surface that is on the inside, is there anything else that I should be looking for that might make a difference in the light it produces???

Thanks for your tips and advice in advance, I really appreciate it. Please let me know if you have any questions of me.

Sincerely- Douglas

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Soft boxes do not produce any light....contrary to popular belief. ;) It's the bulb that's used inside the soft box that produces the light. Now that we have that silly detail out of the way.... ;)........I would use bulbs that are specifically made for photography. I have one that is rated at 5500K and 85W. It's one of those curly bulbs. I have another curly bulb that is rated at 40W and is a Cool White. I use this as a hot light for fill. Another bulb I have is rated at 180W. This one is used in my studio flash/model light. For one of my soft boxes, I use a curly bulb that is rated at 5200K and is 28W. This is a True Daylight bulb. I hope this helps in some way.
I use this site for my studio equipment, including soft boxes. Great prices...great service. www.strobepro.com

Attachments

• Studio Bulbs.jpg
    Studio Bulbs.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 810
Last edited:

Nikonite1222

Thanks guys for your information, it is very valuable and I am currently reading/studying the links that you both provided me. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely- Douglas