Pictures taken in Auto mode look "blown out"

ksrigg

Is there a way to adjust the exposure in AUTO MODE in the D3200 or D3100? I own both, but am having problems only with the D3200. All my pictures, especially ones taken outdoors seem to be just "blown out" or overexposed. They have a glare and white sheen to them, as if the pictue is overexposed. It does not do this in manual modes, in that I control all the settings, but I do like shooting in Auto sometimes, and would like to adjust the exposure in 'AUTO". If someone can help me, I'd appreciate it. I am sure there has to be a way to reset the exposure under "AUTO"...At first I thought it might be the lens I was using, but after trying three different lenses from two makers, I am seeing this is not the case..

Thanks for any help... I will be happy to post a pic or two to show you what I am seeing, but I am new to the forum, and don't know how to do it yet...

ksrigg

I know that, but there has got to be a way to set the "auto" mode to have less saturation.....gotta be.....I just need to know where to go to set the camera's "auto" mode so everything isn't SOOO BLOWN OUT................H E L P M E PLEASE ! ! !

Last edited:

pedroj

You move the "whatchamacallit" to the "thingamajing" and "bobsyouruncle" If you follow these instuction.....

"READ YOUR MANUAL"

I can't understand why you would want to shoot in auto when you say you use manual mode...

Whats the point

Sambr

You move the "whatchamacallit" to the "thingamajing" and "bobsyouruncle" If you follow these instuction.....

"READ YOUR MANUAL"

I can't understand why you would want to shoot in auto when you say you use manual mode...

Whats the point

You can't it's one or the other Manual or Auto. To change the saturation, on my bodies I have to go into the "Picture Control" there is a slider to increase or decrease saturation.

Pierro

As posted, look in the menu for control on those things, like contrast, saturation, sharpness blah blah. When shooting .Jpegs, you are letting the camera take control of the finished product, and the camera is deciding how to process your final photos based on the settings in the menu that YOU set

Its the reason a lot of us move over to shooting RAW after you get to know your camera. The control is then with you and your processing skills. You have infintely more control over the final outcome shooting RAW. Something to think about in the future when you have reached your comfort zone shooting Jpegs

Last edited:
Well you have learnt which of the contributers to ignore .....

What you need to check is in Menu ..set picture control ..start at the standard settings but I would increase the sharpness.
Never use Auto P is a much better option ..use auto iso to give you 100-6400 iso and away you go .
Forget the manual ...use the A aperture priority with say F11 and min speed 1/30 and it all works fine ..
I use this camera every week for a back up at weddings with 10-20mm sigma and have no problems on P 100-6400 iso...dark church to bright sun...perfect ( we always shoot 1/2 stop under and adjust in Lightroom.)

If you shoot a small number of pictures RAW is fine but to adjust 1000+ images from a wedding ...no... Large basic JPEG does it for me .....

Last edited:

ksrigg

Is it true that if I set all the picture controls for each of the different priority setting choices, then the auto will choose one of them making the picture reflect the settings in the picture control from the setting it chooses? What will I change to get rid of the blown out look? Saturation? Contrast? Sharpness? None of them really seem to address an overexposed look...I really don't understand....and I do come from a long history of understanding and shooting a Nikon FM2 (film SLR) which I was able to get to respond to what I was seeking...I'm just not making the connections I guess...I understand the different priorities...but I guess I need to pull out the manual and look at it... I really hate reading directions..I'll bet someone knows the answer to this quandry...and I guess I'm just looking for the easy way out..

ksrigg

Is it true that if I set all the picture controls for each of the different priority setting choices, then the auto will choose one of them making the picture reflect the settings in the picture control from the setting it chooses? What will I change to get rid of the blown out look? Saturation? Contrast? Sharpness? None of them really seem to address an overexposed look...I really don't understand....and I do come from a long history of understanding and shooting a Nikon FM2 (film SLR) which I was able to get to respond to what I was seeking...I'm just not making the connections I guess...I understand the different priorities...but I guess I need to pull out the manual and look at it... I really hate reading directions..I'll bet someone knows the answer to this quandry...and I guess I'm just looking for the easy way out..

pedroj

.but I guess I need to pull out the manual and look at it... I really hate reading directions..I'll bet someone knows the answer to this quandry...and I guess I'm just looking for the easy way out..

What a great idea...What did we do when we didn't have internet...