nikon series E 100 2.8

stmv

I was hiking in pouring rain, and even though I had the lens in a baggy, and a pouch, all the movement, and such, must have open the plastic bag, and moisture got into my 100 mm 2.8.

I carried this lens because worse case, its fairly cheap to replace (around 80 dollars), I did the oven dry, and such, and the moisture is gone, but do see that leftover water stain, darn.

I know I can have it repaired/cleaned, but in the meantime, I managed to find a never used (brand NEW!) one for 120 dollars. That just blows my mind that you can still find left over stock, or lens that are in the original packaging, unused.

I'll drop the other off to my repair shop for an estimate, if the cost is more 60 dollars, hard choice, but it is an amazing lens.

yes, the 100 mm is sharp, super small, and ultra smooth, and this was considered a low quality cheap lens at one time, but one of my favorite hiking lens because it is so small with no distortion, and sharp sharp sharp.

stmv

as a reference, series E lens have at least 4 really good choices,

100 mm
75-150
70-210

I have all 4, of the 3 I use the 100, 75-150 the most, awesome outdoor hiking lens.

I should use the 135 more, but tend to not use that focal range as much.

I never use the 70-210, I have a classic 80-200 F4 which is smaller, and a shade better build, but did use the 70-210 quite a bit in my film days, always like the sharpness of this lens.

so, for those on a budget, these are fun to throw in your bag, and you don't feel as bad when you ruin one.

Eye-level

Banned
First of all I can't believe you would put a lens in the oven. Especially a plastic one! And not only that but just think of what you did to the grease in the helicoils on the likely not serviced in 20 years since new lens. Would you put your lens in the trunk of a car in summer even if for just several minutes?

I wonder if the water spotting will affect the results at all?

I would invest in a set of spanner wrenches and jewellers screwdrivers and a few other things...cheap...and clean it and relube it.

Everyone that is at all handy should buy these things and a couple of old 5 dollar lenses and learn how they work mechanically speaking. Learn learn learn! :)

stmv

at 120 degress, it is good, won't harm the lens, keep it to 20 minutes, worked great. Drove the moisture right out, good idea about learning how to fix it myself. but I got the lens in decent shape with the oven. no harm to the oil if you keep it short.