Nikon D800 & Lenses

Zaman

Hi everybody, I am M. Zaman, I am a new member.

I am planning to buy Nikon D800. I now have D300. I have the following lenses:
1. 12 - 24MM F/4.5-5.6 SIGMA
2. Nikkor 28MM F/3.5 - NIKON ( This is an old lens I used to use with film camera Nikon F4)
3. AF Micro-Nikkor 60MM f/2.8
4. AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED ( This I use with D300)
5. AF Zoom-Nikkor 35-135MM f/3.5-4.5 (This is also an old lens that I used to use with the film camera Nikon F4)
6. AF Nikkor 50MM f/1.4 D

I am going to dispose my D300.

I would be grateful if I can get some advise on which of the above lenses I should keep and which additional lenses I should buy. My interest is Landscape and Portraits.

M. zaman

Scott Murray

My recommendation would be to buy the D800 and then see what lenses work well with this camera, do you need to sell them straight away?

Fred Kingston

That's my suggestion too. He spent a long time acquiring and using what he has... and he's used to them... Unless he had to sell them, I wouldn't get rid of any of them...

<---says Fred with a shelf full of old perfectly great lenses...

TedG954

I use old lenses on my D700 and they're fine. The only lens I'd sell off is the DX lens, but you won't get much, so you might as well keep it. So, I guess you should keep them all.

Disorderly

If you're selling the D300, offer the 18-200mm with it. You could use it with the D800 in DX mode, but you won't want to. It's not a great lens, and won't give you quality images with the new body.

As for new lenses, it's a question of what you like to shoot and what you can afford. For portraiture I have a 24-70mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and 105mm f/2.8 macro. For landscapes I got the 16-35mm f/4. All work well on the D800.

Dave_W

The Dude
Add the Nikkor 24-70mm to your list. IMO, it's the best and most versatile lens made. And again, IMO, remove the Sigma lens. It's heresy to put a Sigma lens on a D800...:D