Reversed lens photography

Nialfb

I have been looking into reversed lens macro photography. I have found a couple of Nikon AF Nikkor 35-80mm lenses that I had on my old F50's. I have bought a reversing ring, a joining tring and a set of extension tubes - should just about cover everything :)

So to my question ... I was messing around tonight and just held one of the lenses reversed against the body of my D90. I had my flash attached but with the flash turned on I couldn't take a photograph. So what was the problem? I think maybe that something makes contact when a lens is attached so the flash is enabled. Just holding the lens to the body did not make the contact - is that a reasonable asumption?

I also assume that if I attach one of the lenses to the body as normal and then reverse the second lens with the joining ring the flash would work. Will the flash work if I attach only one lens using the reversing ring?

This is all new to me so any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Nial

BTW - my flash unit is a Nissin Speedlite Di622 (great value for the money!)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Nial, welcome to the forum. A little more information might be needed to correctly assess your question.
But, I'll give a blind trial to answer it.
If by any chance your flash settings are to TTl, the camera needs lens information before it can decide how to power the flash. The flash must be on your hot shoe and you 'll probably need to put your camera in manual mode. You'll have to find at what aperture your lens is and adjust the flash's output to the correct intensity, this will be done by trial and error.

Hope this was a little bit helpful,

Enjoy your Nikon!

Nialfb

Hi Marcel ... thanks. I thought it might be something like that. My flash works fine if I have one of the lenses attached as per normal so I assume the flash will work with the second lens reversed. If all else fails I could use just one lens with the extension tubes :) It is a bit awkward just holding the lens up so I'll wait until the joining ring and reversing ring arrive next week and then have another go.

Nialfb

I discovered a minor setback in using the Nikon AF Nikkor 35-80mm lenses at the weekend ... vignetting! Due to the nature of the lens the aperture diaphragm is seriously in the way and looking through the lens is like trying to take a photograph through a keyhole!

How easy is it to dismantle one of the lenses and remove the aperture blades? Has anyone tried it? In the meantime I have placed a bid on a Sigma Mini-wide 28mm f/2.8 lens to try that. It has a 52mm thread to I can still use it with my current set-up. The lens has a Minolta fitting but as it will be reversed so that doesn't matter.

Maybe I should just buy a macro lens and be done with it *LOL*

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You have to open the diaphragm manually by shifting the little prong. I sometimes use a rubber band to keep it open.

Nialfb

Hi Marcel. The lens has a manual aperture ring so I can set it to f/4. With the second reversed lens being so far from the camera vignetting is increased. I have tried moving the aperture lever but the aperture will not open any more than it does with the aperture ring set to f/4.

I have a cunning plan ... while going through some old manual camera equipment I have found a Olympus f/1.8 50mm lens, 49mm thread I think, so I will get a coupling ring and try that. I have also bid on the 28mm f/2.8 lens which has a 52mm thread (the same as my existing lenses) so hopefully I'll win that as well. Anyway, if it doesn't work I will be the proud owner of a Sigma 28mm f/2.8 lens to fit a Minolta :D ... just need a Minolta camera then - EBAY!!!

stmv

ok,, this is a Nikon forum, so I assume you have a Nikon camera?

If so,, just buy a couple of old cheap manual focus, like say a 50 mm 1.8 series E lens for like 40 dollars on ebay. also the 20mm 3.5, or 28 mm are nice reversion lens.

reversing rings and such are when you want to do reall manual work, typically with external lighting and not flash. It is slow, exacting shooting with a tripod, since the
dof plane is so so shallow.

research focus stacking, and have fun.

Nialfb

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have a Nikon D90 - shortly to be a D300s :)

A friend of mine sent me a YouTube video on reversed lens macro photography. I have done a bit of macro photography in the past with my existing macro lenses but I just fancied getting up really close and personal. I also looked up stacked focusing and I'm looking forward to giving that a go.

When I get some results I'll put some pictures up on the forum