The River of Grass..... commonly called the Everglades. Yesterday's trip.

KWJams

Choot'em Ted --- Choot'em! :)

chootemLogo_large.gif

TedG954

You didn't get a picture of George. He hangs out at the fishing dock.
coolpix_044.jpg

I certainly did look for one. If I would have known his name, I could have called out to him. The heat was scorching. I was soaked through after an hour, then it was time for A/C. What a great invention!

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I certainly did look for one. If I would have known his name, I could have called out to him. The heat was scorching. I was soaked through after an hour, then it was time for A/C. What a great invention!

I know they've been having problems with people feeding the gators, that's why the floating dock was going to be closed off. Maybe they moved him. Here's a closer shot of George. These were taken with the Coolpix S3100 before I got the D5100.

We finally have a nice day and you complain about the heat.
coolpix_045.jpg

Scott Murray

A watched a doco on the everglades last night and how it became a National Park. Its amazing that politicians once thought all people wanted to look at was "landmarks" like waterfalls etc and that the wildlife was unimportant. I am glad we have come so far. Nice photos and I hope to get there oneday.

TedG954

A watched a doco on the everglades last night and how it became a National Park. Its amazing that politicians once thought all people wanted to look at was "landmarks" like waterfalls etc and that the wildlife was unimportant. I am glad we have come so far. Nice photos and I hope to get there oneday.

They have to stop progress somewhere. And when you see what's happened in Florida over the past 40 years (that I've lived here), without protection, the Glades would be asphalt, concrete, and St. Augustine grass.

Scott Murray

They have to stop progress somewhere. And when you see what's happened in Florida over the past 40 years (that I've lived here), without protection, the Glades would be asphalt, concrete, and St. Augustine grass.
Yes so I saw, they were even selling lots off on the provido that you "drain and vegetate the land" after purchase. People do not realise how these fragile ECO systems work and the fact they are not swamps cause the water is ever flowing. I hope to one day get over there and experience the "Everglades" :)

TedG954

People don't realize how dangerous the Python problem is. The Python is completely changing the hierarchy of animals and they could destroy the ecosystem. It is a very serious problem. Yes, it is fragile.

Scott Murray

Bugger that sux, we have an issue with cane toads but luckily our native animals are adapting and either eating them and not their poison glands or leaving them be. But pythons are different as they are a whole new genre of reptiles that can kill at will for food and an alligator can be an easy meal. Just need to educate the [insert swear words at people who dont know shit] about buying pets and then them outgrowing their welcome.... Luckily we have strict laws here, we can keep a Salt water crocodile until it is 1 metre in length, or with snakes they need to be originally from here and are then registered and strictly monitored.

Last edited:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
There's a really bad movie on the SYFY channel right now about pythons in the Everglades. Can't believe my husband is watching it!!

Mike150

You know? I went to visit some friends in Louisiana once and they invited me to go Gator hunting. I was going to go until I realized they just needed bait.