50 mm 1.2 ais

stmv

bravo to Nikon for still making this lens, what a beauty, fully manual, and the pleasure of the brightness of the viewfinder with this lens on, really a joy to use,

The focus is so smooth, focus ring plenty large, with the right viscuous feel. I shot at 1.2 and got a nice sharp image with that fade away one would expect.

Yes, you can get the latest G lens, and have AF, but throw a couple of this generation of manaual lens into the mix, you might be surprised how much you enjoy taking pictures with these manual AIS lens.

I have been comparing some of the older lens also, today tried out the 105 2.5 gausian design lens, and wow, on the D800, this lens shines.

back on the 1.2, one of the amazing things of this lens is that even though 1.2,,, it is still 52 mm! love that, I tend to carry Hoya polarizer, and some neutral density filters and so nice that one small packet of filters covers my whole range from 20mm to 200 mm! Nice that a lot of the old D series auto focus still ownered that cover that range, the exception being the 20 mm afsD.

yup, you can tell I love the manual glass. sure, af love that too, but when I am out just having fun, I almost always use the old glass manual focus primes over my newer autofocus version, just seems more natural. compose/focus, aperture, exposure, (iso adjust if needed), focus adjust if needed, shoot..

recompose, repeat.

manual focus AIS -> D200,D300,D1,D2,D3,Detc, D7000, D700,D800, and others have fun.

on 40,40,80,90,3x,5X,, Nikon cannot meter,, so you can still use, but you have to use your historygram on test shots, a real pain, so,, best to pass the old school glass.

stmv

I will say I just did a comparison between the 1.2 and the cheap 1.8 D lens, and yes, the 1.8 D wins, if you are looking for ultra sharp, then the newer design holds, if you are looking for a look, then the 50mm 1.2 serves a niche place., but one cannot consider it a general purpose 50mm by any means.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
So where are the sample pics?

I thought you were implying that there is a Nikon 50mm f1.2G AFS based on the title. It almost got me excited since there is no AFS with the current Nikon 50mm f1.2 manual focus lens.

stmv

yes, I suspect that a 1.2 G is not on the table for a while, which is somewhat surprising, but Nikon already has a lot of 50mm lens on their catalog. If they did, I would predict an expensive price of say close to 1000 dollars which would put it into such a niche lens.