50mm f1.8D

ding

Soooo, I got the above prime lens yesterday - brand new, well almost, used only 2 times! and for less than half price :D
I had planned on buying the 35mm after work but had to stay an extra 2 hrs!! Crazy day - anyway, was kinda upset coz the store had closed and I was complaining pretty bad to my friend when he told me about the 50mm. I guess there is a reason for everything lol

Anyway, get it home, put it on camera - first time with a prime lens...well, first time actually playin with my DSLR since ive got it (work/illness = meh!). The aperture ring is set at f22 but the display tells me its f1.8 - i move it and then it tells me fEE. I'm a little concerned so mess around with a couple of settings - still fEE so I google this and then panic stations on full alert as i'm reading some post of someone with a D7K and the 50mm having the same problem and has to send it to Nikon for repair. Someone else said theirs did it because they had broken something putting on the lens. I checked my camera, cringing as im taking off the lens - phew, nothing seems to be broken. So then i'm looking through the menu to see if there is anything I should have changed - thankfully i find something...

In menu I go to
custom settings
controls
customize command dials
aperture setting
aperture ring > ok

I then go back to adjusting the aperture and yay!! no more fEE.

I'm not sure if anyone else will experience the fEE like me, but just in case you do, i hope the above info will help.

But for the more advanced folk - is this something anyone else has gone through? Is this the only thing that can be done or is there something else i need to remember to save future panic? lol

Please excuse my noobness - and please remember this was after a 12hr shift and a week of having the weirdest cold ever haha. I plan on spending my day off with my camera, manual and my book "Mastering the D7000" to prevent future panic attacks lol.

I took a few test shots with it - i'm gonna figure out how to get them on here. So when i do, Please go easy on me when making any comments/suggestions, these were literally the first shots i've taken, just to check things were working and to get my fuzzy head around it all lol

Last edited:

ding

hmmm I did that. I had it locked at f22 but in camera it said it was at f1.8 - i tried to change it but it wouldn't do anything :/

ding

Huh. Funniest thing... I set it bk to how it was and guess what... I swear last night it didn't work and I did exactly as I'm doing now... only thing different was a less than half charged battery. Hmmmm

Anyway... guess I shud delete this thread now? Lol But thanks for makin me re-check :D

Seriously wonderin what happened tho....

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Phillydog1958

T.Behuniak

Just wanted to say, great shots! And your kit looks like how I want mine to be, only a D300 instead of a D7000. How do you like your tokina 12-24? Is it the older or newer one? I was thinking about getting the 11-16 2.8, but this one has a greater zoom range even though its f4, the D300 is pretty good in low light, this might be a plan changer if you give it a good review :) Thanks for your time :)

ding

Just wanted to say, great shots! And your kit looks like how I want mine to be, only a D300 instead of a D7000. How do you like your tokina 12-24? Is it the older or newer one? I was thinking about getting the 11-16 2.8, but this one has a greater zoom range even though its f4, the D300 is pretty good in low light, this might be a plan changer if you give it a good review :) Thanks for your time :)

I actually haven't used it that much - only to fire off a few test shots and get a feel for it. I will be using it over the next week or so in the city so i will let you know what i think and post a couple of pics :)