Color Space which is better?

Tami Jo

sRGB color space versus Adobe RGB color space. I've heard that Adobe RGB Color spaces yields better coloration but needs to be
converted before uploading to labs and to the web. Is this correct or am in misunderstanding this?

Eye-level

Banned
Simple answer - shoot RAW and it doesn't matter you can use both.

sRGB was made for computer screens

If you are going to print use Adobe

When it doubt use sRGB gamma 2.2

Really it is a big mess and probably not worth messing with unless you are going pro.

Good subject good thread. :)

Carroll

sRGB color space versus Adobe RGB color space. I've heard that Adobe RGB Color spaces yields better coloration but needs to be
converted before uploading to labs and to the web. Is this correct or am in misunderstanding this?

I am a new user of Photoshop. I learned that I had to set my preferences to sRGB for the photo that I wanted to print at my local Walgreens.

I first had the photo printed, and the colors were "muted", and not at all pleasing. I did some research, and learned that the photo with "muted" colors used Adobe RGB.

I then searched the Internet for this problem, and learned about Adobe RGB, for my situation.

I changed the file to sRGB for copying to another folder, had the photo printed at Walgreens, and it looked great!...and the colors matched almost perfectly to my monitor colors. Also, Photoshop retained that preference for all photos since then. I did not notice any change to the monitor colors, only the printed photo that I had done at Walgreens. I live in a small town, and the other choice is Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart does not have 1-hour glossy photos, so I use Walgreens.

Perhaps this is a "Walgreens" thing, as I have not used any other lab to print photos.

This worked for me, however, as I said, I am new to Photoshop, and in your situation, things may be different. Perhaps you could ask at the lab you want to use, what their preferences are, or how they handle that.

Carroll

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
I am a new user of Photoshop. I learned that I had to set my preferences to sRGB for the photo that I wanted to print at my local Walgreens.

I first had the photo printed, and the colors were "muted", and not at all pleasing. I did some research, and learned that the photo with "muted" colors used Adobe RGB.

Carroll

That doesn't sound right.

I am sure Walgreens is making you convert to 8 bit files as opposed to 16 bit files as they are crooks like that.

Last edited:

Carroll

That doesn't sound right.

I am sure Walgreens is making you convert to 8 bit files as opposed to 16 bit files as they are crooks like that.

Well, and I hope the following makes sense. I edited my previous post 3 times! ;)

Jeff, here is what happened:

I transmitted a file to Walgreens, and had a photo printed. It looked like crap.

I have had quite a few (lots of robberies) printed at Walgreens, previous to this, and they came out just as I had post processed them. These files were used in Paint Shop Pro X4, Corel After Shot Pro, and Capture NX2. I had some printed when they still used a "wet" lab here, and had some printed after they changed to a "dry" lab. All OK.

When I transmitted my first file using Photoshop CS6, the color was off. Very "muted" and noticeable.

I found out that Photoshop used Adobe RGB in the file that I had transmitted to Walgreens.

I changed the color space to sRGB in that file, re-transmitted it to Walgreens, and the picture was as I wanted.

I suppose that I had not paid enough attention to the preferences in Photoshop....or read the instructions!!!!!!LOL

I agree that Walgreens AND Walmart are "crooks" because they hold up you and I when we choose to enter their doors. However, when I am learning how to post process for print, I like to look at my mistakes as quickly as I can, and typically, Walgreens holds me up in about 30 minutes from the time I transmit. I guess I like a quick shakedown! LOL

Don't know what else to say...

Carroll

Carroll

Jeff, I forgot to mention where in CS6 I changed the RGB settings.

I was in (Color Settings) (Working Spaces), and the setting was changed to sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Carroll

Dave_W

The Dude
The subject of color management is perhaps every bit as deep and complicated at the subject of photographic composition. There is no "one size fits all" nor can you generalize and say one gives "muted" colors while the other does not. To answer the OP question, you should work in the best space possible which is ProPhoto RGB but you should also be ready to convert to AdobeRGB and/or sRGB when needed. And the "when needed" is a big questions because every color lab has different requirements. Check with the lab first but also understand that in order to get good looking prints you have to understand the color management in your computer and within your monitor. They absolutely need to be calibrated to one extent or the other in order to achieve prints that look like the image on your monitor.

On a related topic (sorry to hijack your thread Tami Jo) I started a thread a couple months ago fishing for fellow printers who have dealt color management issues but didn't get a lot of response. I've done a lot of work on my own system and have maxed out what I can do short of using a calibrator like Spyder. It's a ton of work but it's also very rewarding when you sync your printer with your monitor and produce your own printing. Believe me when I say printing is an amazing way to push your photography to the next level. Variables such as paper type - matte, cotton rag, natural, gloss, etc. - open up an entire new avenue of expression. At least to me, printing my own works has been as challenging and rewarding as capturing the image in the first place. And I understand now what others meant when they said capturing the photo was only the first part of producing a piece of art.

Eye-level

Banned
Until you get to the color management and printing phase keep your camera set on sRGB.

I can't afford to print anything really except for holidays and there are not very many snaps I make that I would print. Plus I spend most of my time on the net so the simple stuff works for me.

Carroll

Tami Jo, I apologize for attempting to add my one and a half cents to share what I have found to be successful in printing photos...and assisting in hijacking your thread. Not my intent, Ma'am.

Jeff, I apologize if anything I wrote offended you. Again, not my intent, Sir.

Evidently, there is a lot I don't know about this subject. I am learning what works for me. Nikon Photographer has two really good links that I read, and learned from. My thanks for that.

And I also apologize to the people that work at Walgreen's and Walmart Photo Labs. My response was meant to be humourous, and not a slur to the persons or companies. I do business almost daily at both places, and appreciate the services that I receive. For what it is worth, I consider any purchase that I make anywhere a "hold-up", with me as a willing participant! I base that on my many years in the retail business, and several years in management with Wal-Mart. I liked Sam Walton.

I enjoy reading, participating, and learning about all phases of Photography on this forum, and hope to continue just that. Thanks to all who participate for my benefit. Honesty is hard to come by these days. I value it.

I will definitely try to use more "LOL's" to convey my intentions...

Carroll

Last edited:

Tami Jo

Tami Jo, I apologize for attempting to add my one and a half cents to share what I have found to be successful in printing photos...and assisting in hijacking your thread. Not my intent, Ma'am.

Jeff, I apologize if anything I wrote offended you. Again, not my intent, Sir.

Evidently, there is a lot I don't know about this subject. I am learning what works for me. Nikon Photographer has two really good links that I read, and learned from. My thanks for that.

And I also apologize to the people that work at Walgreen's and Walmart Photo Labs. My response was meant to be humourous, and not a slur to the persons or companies. I do business almost daily at both places, and appreciate the services that I receive. For what it is worth, I consider any purchase that I make anywhere a "hold-up", with me as a willing participant! I base that on my many years in the retail business, and several years in management with Wal-Mart. I liked Sam Walton.

I enjoy reading, participating, and learning about all phases of Photography on this forum, and hope to continue just that. Thanks to all who participate for my benefit. Honesty is hard to come by these days. I value it.

I will definitely try to use more "LOL's" to convey my intentions...

Carroll
carrollstewart.com

No Problem Carroll, I am happy to share :D after all that is the best way to gain new perspective and learn new things.

Carroll

Hey Jeff, thank for the link! Excellent article, and I appreciate it. I liked it because it was simple, and simple fits into my brain cells real good.

In the future, I will avoid putting item in below pic in forum members "Bonnets". You have to be of a certain age group to understand that, and who cares what color space the pic is in, it doesn't look too bad...LOL.

Carroll

18-55mm
38mm
1/320
F9
ISO 100
100% crop

View attachment 16252

I am unoffendable sir...you ain't bothering me at all...I agree with you entirely.

SmugMug | What Colorspace Should My Files Be In?: ...

Last edited: