Bird Man

JPar

Great capture. Love San Fran and the Embarcadero. Did he make you give him money after taking his picture? :)

A few things:

Any reason why this is in B/W? Did the color version not come out right?

I ask because one of the better parts of the shot IMO would be the bird swooping in. It gets kind of lost in the photo with the man's cart behind it. If you want to keep it B/W, maybe apply more contrast? Lighting effects?

Dave_W

The Dude
Great capture. Love San Fran and the Embarcadero. Did he make you give him money after taking his picture? :)

A few things:

Any reason why this is in B/W? Did the color version not come out right?

I ask because one of the better parts of the shot IMO would be the bird swooping in. It gets kind of lost in the photo with the man's cart behind it. If you want to keep it B/W, maybe apply more contrast? Lighting effects?

Actually this is the Embarcadero in San Diego. I think all the major CA cities have an Embarcadero, so it can be confusing. The reason I chose B&W was for the birds. In the color version the birds near the man are almost impossible to make out, the colors just blend together. So after converting to black and white, I removed a good portion of the red bands and the bumped up the blue bands which brought out the bird on his bag and the bird flying. Without the adjustments, the birds just blend together with the bag and can only be seen if you look very carefully. It's a shame, too, because the birds are the real story here. But you get what you get and then it's up to you to realize your original vision.

And no, I did not give any money. Instead I sat and had a conversation with the man. He's a former Marine, served in Vietnam and seems to have all his faculties about him. I'm not sure what brings him to live where he does but he was very lucid. And in the time I sat talking with him, he didn't yell at any empty chairs or invisible Obama's....;)

JPar

Actually this is the Embarcadero in San Diego. I think all the major CA cities have an Embarcadero, so it can be confusing. The reason I chose B&W was for the birds. In the color version the birds near the man are almost impossible to make out, the colors just blend together. So after converting to black and white, I removed a good portion of the red bands and the bumped up the blue bands which brought out the bird on his bag and the bird flying. Without the adjustments, the birds just blend together with the bag and can only be seen if you look very carefully. It's a shame, too, because the birds are the real story here. But you get what you get and then it's up to you to realize your original vision.

And no, I did not give any money. Instead I sat and had a conversation with the man. He's a former Marine, served in Vietnam and seems to have all his faculties about him. I'm not sure what brings him to live where he does but he was very lucid. And in the time I sat talking with him, he didn't yell at any empty chairs or invisible Obama's....;)

Well now I just feel silly, not knowing my Embarcaderos. :)

In San Francisco, if you photograph the street performers or homeless, some of them angrily demand money.

Good that you stopped and talked with him. I think, aside from being homeless, the biggest tragedy with guys like him is the lack of human interaction. But if you're going to be homeless, I can think of worse places to do it than San Diego.