Newb from India !

alekhkhanna

Hey guys (and gals),
Just moved from a P&S to a Nikon D5100 + 18-105mm VR. Been hovering around various sites trying to understand all the terminology and techniques. Hope to learn more from Nikonites !
Also planning to get some Hoya filters (UV+ Warm Polarizer + ND) and a tripod. Any suggestions ? For my budget, I can think of either Benro T-880EX or Slik F740.

Thanks for reading. :D

Phillydog1958

Welcome to the forum. Funny that you're interested in Hoya filters. I just upgraded to Hoya. Here's a link to the Hoya filters that I just ordered for my set of lenses. They were recommended by "Grandpa," who uses them on all of his lenses. You will see Grandpa's on-going posts on this forum. He takes some really great photos. What impressed me about these filters is that Hoya markets them to be specifically designed for digital cameras. So far, they're great -- No lens flare at all.

Amazon.com: Hoya 67mm Ultraviolet (UV) Multi-Coated Glass Pro 1 Digital Filter: Camera & Photo

fotojack

The two tripods you mentioned do not have replaceable heads, if I'm not mistaken. However, they're not too bad for starting off with. I'd go for the Benro brand myself. Or...save for a better type with replaceable ball head, such as the Manfrotto or Gitzo. More expensive, but much better made and far more solid to carry your expensive camera.

Kamesh

Welcome Mr. Alekh Khanna,

I got the HOYA 67 Filter for my D7000. I have no clue about any of the tripods, as I am yet to start research on that.

You have tons of information here. After much research, I ended up at this forum, which provided me all the required info. There's no looking back :)

alekhkhanna

He wrestles alligators I think... :)
"Grandpaw" wrestling alligators at "Eye-level" ?

/PJ

Welcome on board.. enjoy the ride..mine has been great so far.
Thanks ! :)

The two tripods you mentioned do not have replaceable heads, if I'm not mistaken. However, they're not too bad for starting off with. I'd go for the Benro brand myself. Or...save for a better type with replaceable ball head, such as the Manfrotto or Gitzo. More expensive, but much better made and far more solid to carry your expensive camera.
Thanks for the reply Fotojack. I'm a noob when it comes to photography, but after purchasing this expensive piece of equipment I'm quite on a shoestring budget for the tripod and filters combined. Plus my job requires me to be at a very remote place for the coming 6 months, with no internet connectivity and no means of ordering any tech stuff, so I think I'll take my chances with either of those for the time being (staying within budget constraints) rather than be without a tripod (considering I'll be surrounded by nature).
Also in the meanwhile can save up some dough for an upgrade a year down the line ! And then you'll have lots of PMs. :p

Welcome Mr. Alekh Khanna,

I got the HOYA 67 Filter for my D7000. I have no clue about any of the tripods, as I am yet to start research on that.

You have tons of information here. After much research, I ended up at this forum, which provided me all the required info. There's no looking back :)
Thanks Kamesh.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

alekhkhanna

Oh, and I started off by seeing the Nikon photography tutorials on their site. Quite informative for beginners I must say ! :D

Kamesh

Enjoy shooting with your Nikon. You are now one of those proud Nikonites.

After clicking Forum tab above, at the bottom you will find Project 365. You can create your thread for your pictures. Keep shooting and keep posting :)

Ironwood

Welcome!

I got myself a Slik F740 tripod about a week ago. It was the best out of the ones in that price range that I was looking at. I am very happy with it so far.

alekhkhanna

Welcome ! I've been using Hoya filters for years, you really can't go wrong with them, brilliant quality ...

Cool. Thanks !

Welcome!

I got myself a Slik F740 tripod about a week ago. It was the best out of the ones in that price range that I was looking at. I am very happy with it so far.

Nice. How easy is it to carry ? Had a look at 730 and it seems to open up longer than 740. Now I'm seriously confused !

joecap

Welcome, Welcome..
You will enjoy using your new D5100.
There is a lot to learn..
But don't let that hold you up..
Get out and take some pictures !!

alekhkhanna

Thanks Joe.
Yeah, the amount of info you need to photograph is quite overwhelming actually. Anyway, took some night shots in very little light. Will be posting in some of the threads soon.