Writing speed of P510

SoNi

I just purchased a P510 and now I am shopping for a 32 or 64GB memory card for it. The Nikon website itself just recommends these 4 brands and memory capacity:

SD memory card SDHC memory card 2 SDXC memory card 3
SanDisk 2 GB 1 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB 64 GB
TOSHIBA 2 GB 1 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB 64 GB
Panasonic 2 GB 1 4 GB, 8 GB, 12 GB, 16 GB, 24 GB, 32 GB 48 GB, 64 GB
Lexar -- 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB 64 GB, 128GB

In an explanatory post in their own forum their staff says "Any class 10 will be fine".

When I read reviews on amazon, experienced users claim to have tested the camera and come up with a max. writing speed of 20 MB/s with which it writes on the memory card. (Is this true?)

Most of these memory cards show the transfer speed only and don't say much about writing speed... which apparently oscillates, it's not constant and always lower than the transfer speed. Most people say that it starts high and than it drops...

I don't want to throw more money away by purchasing a memory card that will be able to reach writing speeds more than my camera is capable of.
On the other side I wouldn't want to purchase a memory card that will limit the writing speed of the camera.

The brand of the memory card doesn't really matter. What matter most to me in this case is the the lowest price for the right specs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

fotojack

#1: The brand of the memory card certainly DOES matter! The cheaper the brand and price, the more likely it is to fail!
#2: As a rule of thumb, the bigger the memory card, the more chance of corruption or loss. Try to keep your cards to a maximum of 8GB.
#3: A Class 10 card would be the preferred card to get, yes.
#4: The higher the Class and capacity of the card, the more expensive it becomes. Minimum Class is recommended to be Class 6.
#5: I have found the best cards to use are Kingston, Lexar and Sandisk....in no particular order of preference. (I tend to lean towards the Lexar brand myself) :)
Hope any of this helps.

Oh....and could you fill out the rest of your profile, please. We like to know where people are from. It really does help us in answering questions. What works in one country doesn't necessarily apply in another. :)

SoNi

Thank you fotojack!
I would appreciate some advice in picking a card with the adequate writing speed which isn't lower or doesn't surpass greatly that of the P510.

fotojack

Thank you fotojack!
I would appreciate some advice in picking a card with the adequate writing speed which isn't lower or doesn't surpass greatly that of the P510.

Does your P510 shoot in burst mode? If it doesn't, I wouldn't worry too much about writing speed. Just use the best card you can afford (such as a Lexar Class 10) and keep taking pictures! :)

SoNi

I believe that it does shoot in burst mode and I also intend to use it for recording clips in the finest HD setting.

Last edited:

SoNi

Just use the best card you can afford (such as a Lexar Class 10) and keep taking pictures! :)

Back at the beginning... This is the initial idea with which I wasn't satisfied before I started to inquire. I would prefer to make a more informed buy in this case. Help anyone?