why do they make intro cameras so hard to use?

stmv

I was trying to help a new 5100 user that had just purchased the 80-200 2.8 D lens (the old bargain), that unfortunately the 5100 cannot autofocus,

well, I said..Nikon has this nice focus assist in the viewfinder with the arrow and green circle, so I tried it out, but nope, they turned that off too! Darn, This function is very handy in the d7000 and other higher end models, but Nikon chooses to not include.

Some features I understand, but some so help the beginner, so why not include?

She is now trading in the 5100 for a 7000 to fully use the awesome lens.

AC016

Well, the 5100 is not an entry level camera, it is a mid-range camera. In regards to the focus issue, the 5100 has a white dot that appears in the lower left hand side of the viewfinder. Press half way down on the shutter button and turn the focus ring. Once the dot is solid white, it's focused. Not hard at all. I guess in the end, she could have just bought a lens that had a built in focus motor:p

stmv

yes, I was checking out the dot, I found it much less useful then the arrow and green dot of the other cameras. The price difference is huge so,, a lot less money to just buy the D7000/80-200 2.8 D versus the D5100 and 70-200 2.8 G lens, and then you gain the internal AF motor, and easier Manual mode dials, plus gain access to all the other older AFs lens out there.

don't get me wrong, D5100 is a great camera, I just get fustrated when Nikon deletes well thought out features by trying to "simplify" in in the end, actually making it harder for the new user.

When I teach a class, and we are having to explain/use some of the entry SLRs, often have to dig out the manual, and read terse explanations to make the shot.

pedroj

yes, I was checking out the dot, I found it much less useful then the arrow and green dot of the other cameras. The price difference is huge so,, a lot less money to just buy the D7000/80-200 2.8 D versus the D5100 and 70-200 2.8 G lens, and then you gain the internal AF motor, and easier Manual mode dials, plus gain access to all the other older AFs lens out there.

don't get me wrong, D5100 is a great camera, I just get fustrated when Nikon deletes well thought out features by trying to "simplify" in in the end, actually making it harder for the new user.

When I teach a class, and we are having to explain/use some of the entry SLRs, often have to dig out the manual, and read terse explanations to make the shot.

All is good with this decision...I have several non AF-S lens...Saved well over $1500...

RickSawThat

They make the D5100 for people just like me :) The size and functionality are exactly what I need for the style of shooting I do. I shoot street portraits and can be holding the camera for 3 hours straight. All shots handheld and all with small apertures to blow out the backgrounds. I mostly use the 70-300 4.5 VR lens and this size combination works great for me. Long live the size and weight format of the D5100 I say....

Sandpatch

I too was torn between the D5100 and D7000, so did research and found some excellent information on the Internet. I had an older lens that would have full functionality with the D7000, but not the D5100, so the expense of lenses was a factor too. The research paid off and I chose the D5100 and have had no surprises. It's my very first DSLR and I am in love. :heart:

Patrick M

I'm similar. My wife got me back into photography after an absence of some 25 years. She did considerable research, and knowing my style (lack thereof) she bought me the D80.
That was such a lovely camera.
I too researched when it came to moving on, and the D5100 offered me what I needed. That was a year ago, and I'm totally enjoying it still...and learning all the time too...

Patrick
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD