Question about action shots

DennyC716

This week, I am attending the Dew Tour to take photos. The Dew Tour is a bike, skateboard and surfing event. I am taking my D7000 and have a question about 18-105 kit lense. I need a zoom lense but this is all i have currently, besides 35mm. I will be close to the event, literally next to where they will be performing (within 20 feet) What do you think I could do to get the best out of what I have? At night, I will have my SB 700 ext flash with me as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

pedroj

You may cause problems for the competitors using flash...I'm sure you need to ask the organizers if it is ok to use...

I know you will have problems with this if the lighting is indicate...I feel with the lens you have you have to shoot it at the short end for the larger aperture, shoot it in the middle of the frame so you can crop..If they wont let you use flash I feel u will struggle...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If the competition is outside in daylight, depending on the weather (sun's direction) you might just be fine. Shoot raw so you can open up the shadows if need be. Depending on the size of prints you are planning to print, use the highest iso you think you can get away with to get shots with reasonable iso noise. Enjoy yourself and stay alert for that million dollars shot. :)

stmv

you should be fine with the range, try not to get too close to the action, so you have time to react. Consider a monopod to control your pan. Play with the exposure control to see how sharp you can get the subject and still blur the background, and then vary (speed up the setting) and do freeze frames. Use it as a learning exercise. Include bystanders if they are reacting to the action, etc.

Also, as the evening approach,, see if there are any lamp post near by, use the artificial light in place of the flash, up the ISO to say 1600, and you should be able to still capture the night shots too without the flash, depending on your placement. Take your time finding your optimimum spot, get their so you can stake out your area, tripod in this case.

final advice. have a blast.

DennyC716

Thanks guys, pics came out pretty good for a first time shooting action. I had a lot of fun, took a ton of photos and in the end, I was very happy with the final product!