Nikon afs 70-300 VR + teleconverter

Bukitimah

There are many discussion of not being able to use teleconverter on this lens. Has anyone did that and able able to share?

What is the min ISO setting and the limitations?

pedroj

There are many discussion of not being able to use teleconverter on this lens. Has anyone did that and able able to share?

What is the min ISO setting and the limitations?

Check the compatibility of the Kenko with it, I think it will AF with the 70-300mm..

I don't think the Nikon T/C AF with a lens that goes beyond F4..

Bukitimah

DSC_3990.jpg

Would it be better if I had the 1.4 teleconverter?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Would it be better if I had the 1.4 teleconverter?

No. That lens is not luminous enough to be used with any tele-converter. For the auto-focus to work properly you need at least a 5.6 aperture. When you put any tele-converter on a lens that is 5.6, you end up with f9. What will happen is that your camera will just hunt for focus and it will me mostly unusable for wildlife shots. I'm afraid you will have to spend serious money to do what you'd like.

Bukitimah

No, I am not ready for big bucks yet. One option I have been considering is 70-200 f2.8 and a 2.0 converter. But now, this 70-300 serves its purpose.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
No, I am not ready for big bucks yet. One option I have been considering is 70-200 f2.8 and a 2.0 converter. But now, this 70-300 serves its purpose.

I understand completely. Sometimes we do have limitations. At least now you know what your options are.

grandpaw

Phillydog1958, I appreciate your kind comment about my pictures. As far as the lens I picked it up in mint condition for $1100 but I did buy the TC new. I was looking around for a little longer lens and decided this combination of lens and TC would be the least expensive way to go and with the crop factor it gives me a reach of up to 600mm. To get that kind of reach in a single Nikon lens would have cost many times more, which I could not afford. Here is another picture that was shot handheld with this combination of camera, lens and TC. Jeff

_DSC8872.jpg

Geoffc

Grandpaw I like your results with this combo. I have the 70-200 vrII already and I tried the TC 2 III in a shop. Even handheld at 1/20 sec I got a half passable shot in the shop.

I think this TC is my next acquisition. Unfortunately we've just had to buy two Coolpix 7100s for our hols next week so that blows the budget for toys this month!!

grandpaw

I took this one today Shot handheld with my Nikon D7000, Nikon 70-200VR F2.8 with a Nikon TC 20E III Teleconverter. Was just out today and there was nothing to photograph so I thought I would give this dragonfly a try. I probably won't bother you with any more examples but I thought this was a good example of what it could do. This was only shot to see how well this combination worked together. It was shot at a distance of 2.66m or about 8ft. and is NOT cropped. Jeff
_DSC8962.jpg

Last edited:

Sambr

Forget about it! Don't waste your money on a TC for this lens even if you could mount one onit you would end up with Krappy photos. The 70-300vr is very capable of taking great shots. Learn to use it within it's limits.

grandpaw

This was taken with my Nikon 70-300VR lens on my Nikon D90 with this lens and it was taken at a distance of 58ft. This is also a very capable lens by itself. Jeff
This was taken at the maximum focal length of 300mm.
_DSC2656-1180996235-O.jpg

Last edited:

pedroj

I see you have the D300, the 80-200mm F2.8 is an option and about 1200 dollars cheaper then the 70-200mm...

You might be able to pick up one of the older 300m AF F4 IF ED reasonably cheap