cat pic

Krystal

ziface.jpg

D3100/18-55, A 1/60 @ f/5, 40mm, ISO 800
No post processing.

This is a shot I took in the first couple days of having my new dSLR. I hadn't done the Nikon course yet, so I had it on auto and got lucky. A 12 elements critique would be highly appreciated as I'm brand new to technical photography and keen to learn.

Thanks to all for this forum,
Krystal

PS This is my baby, but don't worry - she won't be offended if you give the picture a tough critique. She knows she's beautiful no matter what you guys say. :)

AC016

She is a beautiful cat. I would rather see her face right-side up, but that is just me. What was the light like when you took this shot? I'm guessing it was a bit dim. Anyhow, i don't think to many people can critique the pic to much, since the camera set all the variables for you. I hope you are enjoying your new camera. Start experimenting in other modes, like A and P, even s or m. My personal opinion: don't worry about post-processing until you have the fundamentals of photography learnt. Get through that course first, get out there and shoot, shoot, shoot..... good luck:)

Krystal

The light was natural through the window. I'm not sure why the camera set to such a high ISO - maybe it was cloudy at that point. Now that I know more about settings, I'd probably try for a slightly smaller aperture to get both of her eyes in focus. The composition is on purpose - the close up is meant to express the close connection and the sideways is something she does a lot when she gets cuddly.