Debating between lenses...

issalynne

Hello! I am purchasing my first camera (D5100) that is my own, not my fathers. I am also looking for an additional lens. I would prefer one that reaches to 300, or as close as possible, and that doesn't leave too far of a gap between the kit and additional. I am willing to look into used, as price is a HUGE factor here ($250 is the budget).

I do know of a person who is willing to sell me their Nikon ED AF Nikkor 70 - 300 1:4 - 5:6 D Lens for a great price, but I am not positive that it will work with my camera, or if it is a good idea as it is not VR.

Any suggestions or pointers would be grand! Happy snapping!

Rick M

Stay away from the non-vr 70-300 unless you plan on using a tripod most of the time. The best budget 300 is the 55-300 vr, They have been on sale as low as 250-300.

pedroj

Hi and welcome...If the lens this person want's to sell you is "NOT" an AF-S which I don't think it is, it will not Auto Focus on the D5100

Last edited:

Nikon Photographer

The D type lens will not focus on the D5100, as it doesn't have an in built focus motor, for your budget I would go for the 55-300DX lens, I bought the same lens last year and it's a very good lens, and the VR function comes in very handy.

Here's a photo I took with the lens a few weeks ago ...

_DSC0106.jpg

silvercreek

I settled for a 55-200mm lens.

That has got to be in a zoo. I know there are no wild Meerkats in the UK. Oh look, he's smiling at you.

Last edited:

Nikon Photographer

That has got to be in a zoo. I know there are no wild Meerkats in the UK. Oh look, he's smiling at you.

As far as I know, there are no wild Meerkats here in England, the shot was taken at the Cotswold Wildlife park, most of the animals there are not caged, which give plenty of photographic Opportunities.

I haven't got the 55-200, but I have read some very good reviews on the lens ...

§am

I have the 55-200 VR version and love it, and when I bought it I did debate whether to pay the little extra for the 300 instead.
However, not having the need at that time (or even currently) for that far a reach, I'm very happy with the 55-200 and my only gripe with it is, if I'm taking pics on a silent day I can hear the motor in action (nit picking I know!!).
Oh and the plastic lens mount is a shame too - not a problem if you look after your lenses, but still prefer a metal mount on all my lenses if I can :)