Newbie with d5100..

deep

Hi all,

I started using nikon d5100. Been two days using it. I brought 55-300 lense also as i will be shooting more with zooms. I tried taking picture of moon as my first try. Still didn't have a tripod to use. Posting my pic here so that i can learn more. Looking for a nice experience going ahead as a shutter bug.

DSC_0181.jpg

pedroj

Welcome deep..You have movement because of to slow shutter speed 1/100 sec...

To correct the out of focus you have to either put your camera on a tripod or up your shutter speed...

300mm lens requires a shutter speed of at least 1/300 sec and put your camera into Auto Focus Constant [AF-C]

Have another go and see if this helps...

Mike150

I agree with Pedroj. Push up the shutter speed. Also, consider decreasing your aperture opening. Try going to F8 or maybe F11. The Moon is "Reflected Sunlight". Experiment with different F settings and speeds. it's digital so you can throw out the bad ones. I'd suggest manually focusing also.

Not having a tripod stinks for this kind of shot, but try improvising. I would put a pillow on a table outside. Prop the camera on the pillow and use live view to frame and focus your shot. Then use the Timer so you can press the shutter and let the camera take the picture while no one is touching it. Asyou would with a tripod, turn off VR when shooting this way.

stmv

The typical moon is bright, I like to use a spot focus, set the Fstop to F8, concentrate on good form holding the camera, and you should be able to get really clear shots with that lens (I have the same lens and have been amazed at the sharpness of the moon shot .. hand held). Keep practicing, and you will improve the sharpness.

stmv

nice, the moon is a good practice subject, for focus control/speed, etc, hard to get a unique shot due to the amount of shots floating around, but fun to play with.

Krystal

I also experimented with moon pics a week or so ago. I found too high of an ISO was too grainy and too long of a shutter speed got blur. I set my aperture to max (f/5.6 at 200mm) and shutter speed to fastest (1/4000 on my D3100) and upped my ISO until I had enough light. What were your settings on your pictures?

Krystal

ISO - 200
F stop F/5.6
Exp Time 1/640
at 300 mm

Don't forget to use the two-second auto timer so you're not moving the camera as it clicks. I would personally try for a faster shutter speed and maybe up the ISO to 400 or 800 if necessary, but that's just me and I'm new too.

Good luck,
Krystal