Crop Factor

BooBoos

I know this sounds like a stuiped question but I have got to ask. The nikon D-300 has a 1.5 crop factor.Now is that only with a DX lens. Do you get the same 1.5 with an FX lens on a D-300. To appreciate the additional mm lens on a D-300 does it have to be a DX lens. Is using a FX lens on a D-300 basically the same mm as an FX lens on a full frame camera? I have mostly FX lenses only one DX lens. My D-300 is in for repairs and I am not sure if its cost effective to repair it. I am debating on getting a D-300s but I have a D-700 and considering using that. I only have one DX lens but I have a D-700 for my FX lenses. I like to photograph wildlife.Any help is always appreciated

Rick M

You have the same crop factor regardless of the label on the lens. Dx and Fx will look the same, cropped, on a Dx body. I believe the Dx labeling is because the smaller lens size does not work (completely) on an Fx body.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It's not stuiped nor stupid. There are no stupid questions. I'll try to answer your question even if it has been discussed in many many threads here and on other forums. I'm sure a google search for dx vs fx or crop sensors would teach you much.

I'll try to make it simple. Let's take for example a 200mm lens you use to take a picture with an FX camera. Now let's say you print an 8x10 print from the original, have two copies made. Now take the second print and cut it to proportions but divide the surface by 1.5. So you end up with a smaller print which doesn't include everything you had in the first print. This is what you would get from a DX camera with the same lens.

So if you do mostly wildlife, DX is usually considered better because you get things closer than with FX using the same lenses.

What I'll do is go out and take two shots with the same lens from the same spot and will show you the difference. Same lens, same distance.

FX
FX.jpg

DX
DX.jpg

Rick M

BooBoos-

I hope I did not confuse you, You actually have two questions in your post.

1- Will Dx and Fx lenses have the same crop effect on the D300?- That is what my post addressed, they will be the same.

2- Is the same lens the same on a Fx body?- Marcel has provided the answer to that.

BooBoos

Yep, I am bveginning to understand. I lke the crop factor giving me a little more reach. Since my FX lenses will work perfectly on a DX body.I will definitly wait on the estimate from nikon On my D-300 repair and use my lenses on either FX or DXSince I only have one DX lens I may unload it.

Thank You for all your help

grandpaw

Most lenses are much sharper in the center than they are on the edges. When you use a DX lens on a camera that is designed for DX lenses you are using the entire surface of the lens to take a picture with which includes the outer edges that are not as sharp as the center area. On the other hand when you use a lens designed for a full frame camera on a DX style camera you are only using the center section and eliminating the outer edges that may be a bit softer. The result is a very sharp picture. A lot of times when someone has been using a full frame lens on a DX style camera and then moves up to the actual full frame camera to go with it they are not nearly as impressed with the lens because now they are using the entire surface of the lens and are no longer eliminating the outer edges that can cause softness to show around the edges. This is just another difference between lenses and how they work on different size sensors. Jeff

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It was so much easier when I was shooting film.

I'm not so sure I should believe you… Are you sure? Don't you remember all the shots that could not be saved by post processing?

Maybe people should stop worrying about this DX FX thing, put a lens on the camera they have and see what it does. If it doesn't work, get another lens… or another camera. :)