Moon at 300mm

N_Addy

A few things I've learned from taking moon shots. Some may argue these points but they work for me. Super-fast shutter speeds and/or high ISOs aren't always necessary for a good moon shot.

The shot below (cropped) was taken at 300mm, 1/60 sec at f/8, ISO 100.

1) Shoot at dusk. A bit of ambient light in the sky makes the moon easier to expose at low ISOs. You can adjust white balance and increase blacks in PP to create a black sky. I did this in the shot below.
2) Shoot when the moon is low in the sky. The radial velocity to our line-of-sight is lower than when the moon is directly overhead (i.e. the moon appears to move slower) making it easier to expose at lower shutter speeds.
3) Always use a sturdy tripod and remote shutter to eliminate shake. Hand holding will NOT cut it.
4) Expose by metering directly on the moon and then stopping down at least 2 full stops.
5) We tend to think a full moon is the ideal time to shoot. Actually a partial phase (such as below) can be much more effective. The "limb" (i.e. line between dark and light) helps to accentuates details in the area it crosses.

dsc_1459.jpg

Last edited: