Beginner--Nikon d7000 Lenses

marinokl

Hi:

I'm getting my first dslr and am I leaning toward the Nikon d7000 given recent recommendation and the fact that most of my friends have Nikons, which would be fun from a learning standpoint for me.

To get me started, I was hoping to reach out you to guys and see if you have any recos on lenses or accessories. Someone recommended the 50mm/1.8 d to get me started for portraits. In terms of a second lens, is there one you might recommend? In short, I'm going to London in October and would love a couple lenses that would suit me there (portraits, landscape and architecture), as well as for taking great pics of my nephews (the 50mm/1.8?) until I'm more seasoned at photography.

Also, anything else I should get? Recos on tripod, memory cards, extra battery for London, wireless card?)

Thanks!

AC016

A 50 may be a good start. But remember, on your cropped sensor camera, the 50 is more like a 75mm. because of this, you sometimes have to take some step back to get everything into the frame, so perhaps a 35 may be a better choice. Other than that, an 18-55 or an 18-105 would be good choices as well. For the other stuff, you need to think about what you may need. Tripod and extra battery are always good. you can get about 1600 JPEG fine pics on a 16gb SD card. I can't for the life of me think why you would need more than that in a day, unless you don't plan on bringing your computer. In that case, extra memory cards would need to be purchased.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
For portraits, I'd go with the 50mm. But with the camera I'd get the 18-105 VR. It's a great all around lens for the price.

AntrimHills

Having just recently deliberated for months about which lens to pick with my new D7000, I finally opted for the 18-105 VR lens, and so far I'm more than happy with its range. Don't forget the crop factor; the 35 mm equivalent is 27 - 157.5mm which is a lot of zoom for the money, and will cover a lot of subjects. Since I already have a tripod, my next buys will be a remote release and a battery grip. If I thought it necessary, a speedlight might fit in there too. (don't tell the wife though)

Obir

You'll be very happy with your 18-105mm. I have one for my d7000 as well.
The remote and grip will be icing on the cake:)

stmv

ok,, 18-105, good start, next, a nice travel tripod, sturdy enough, but not so heavy that you won't be able to carry around, I like the ones with the built in floating ball head (like a manaffroto), next, get the wireless remote good for long exposure so you don't shake the camera, or well those self portraits of yourself. For the internal, I have one 32 G card and 1 16 G card which is plenty, and then of course one spare battery. Finally, a portable computer with a spare external USB drive to upload and back up the photos. Don't forget to pack the charger and the USB cable.

For travel, you really don't need much more than that.

Dave_W

The Dude
Having just recently deliberated for months about which lens to pick with my new D7000, I finally opted for the 18-105 VR lens, and so far I'm more than happy with its range. Don't forget the crop factor; the 35 mm equivalent is 27 - 157.5mm which is a lot of zoom for the money, and will cover a lot of subjects. Since I already have a tripod, my next buys will be a remote release and a battery grip. If I thought it necessary, a speedlight might fit in there too. (don't tell the wife though)

I think the 18-105mm is a DX lens and wouldn't have a crop factor, would it?

Rick M

No, I don't think that's right. I'm pretty sure the mm's on a DX lenses are accurate for DX bodies, right?

My 16-85 vr at 16mm has the same field of view as a 24mm on your D800. DX lenses are not calibrated to appear traditional to 35mm FOV.

Rick M

This is actually why I went with the 16-85, I didn't want my walk around lens starting at 27mm. When you like to shoot wide, every mm counts!

Dave_W

The Dude
My 16-85 vr at 16mm has the same field of view as a 24mm on your D800. DX lenses are not calibrated to appear traditional to 35mm FOV.

That's what I was saying, that there isn't a crop factor for a DX lens on a DX body. So an 18-105 DX is an 18-105 on a DX body.

Dave_W

The Dude
This is actually why I went with the 16-85, I didn't want my walk around lens starting at 27mm. When you like to shoot wide, every mm counts!

Actually, I don't think that's right, a 16mm DX lens on a DX body would have the same field of view as a 16mm FX lens on an FX body, right?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Actually, I don't think that's right, a 16mm DX lens on a DX body would have the same field of view as a 16mm FX lens on an FX body, right?

If you take a picture with a 16mm on a Fx and make a contact print 24x36. Make another one and crop it to get to the size of the DX sensor and you'll see you don't have the same field of view. the 16mm on a DX would have the same field of view as a 24mm would on an FX.

Dave_W

The Dude
If you take a picture with a 16mm on a Fx and make a contact print 24x36. Make another one and crop it to get to the size of the DX sensor and you'll see you don't have the same field of view. the 16mm on a DX would have the same field of view as a 24mm would on an FX.

That's not quite what I meant. I always thought that DX lenses on DX bodies were the same as an FX lens on an FX body. So if I use the 35mm DX lens on my D7000 and printed a shot out and then took a 35mm FX lens on my D800 and printed it out, I would have pretty much the same photo with all the same items in it, right? So in otherwords a 35mm DX lens gives the same FOV as a 35mm lens on an FX body, no?

Rick M

That's not quite what I meant. I always thought that DX lenses on DX bodies were the same as an FX lens on an FX body. So if I use the 35mm DX lens on my D7000 and printed a shot out and then took a 35mm FX lens on my D800 and printed it out, I would have pretty much the same photo with all the same items in it, right? So in otherwords a 35mm DX lens gives the same FOV as a 35mm lens on an FX body, no?

No, Your dx shot will be like a 52.5 on Fx.

RickSawThat

The lens on a DX camera has a multiplication factor of 1.5 - it does not matter if you use a DX or a FX lens the factor is the same. It's about the sensor not the lens.