First Post

D5100

Just picked up a D5100 and an 18-200VRii lens. Switched over from Canon.

Will be looking for a flash and monopod next.

Dave_W

The Dude
Welcome, former Canonite! May I ask which Canon camera you used to (or is it "use to"? I always get them confused) shoot and why you switched over to Nikon?

D5100

Welcome, former Canonite! May I ask which Canon camera you used to (or is it "use to"? I always get them confused) shoot and why you switched over to Nikon?

I had a 7D for shooting my daughters soccer with a sigma 70-200 and a canon t2i for recreation and vacations etc...
I got tired of the lugging around several lenses and was just not using the 7d. also, in canon you really cannot get the 18-200 lens. i picked one up new for 700.
i was able to recoup more than 95% of my $
i then picked up a 1J1 kit and the d5100 and still have $ left over
very happy with the switch
been really impressed with the j1

D5100

Welcome. I am also a former Canon user. I had a 50D, but the lure of Nikon was too strong.

The cost of their lenses are just ridiculous. I recently learned that their patent is up, thats why nikon has the motor in the lens now, i could be wrong, but i heard that thru the proprietor of a reputable shop her in socal. if thats truly the case, maybe the cost of their(canon) lenses may get a little more competitive. but as it stands, i cannot get anything close to the 18-200vrii for what i paid retail from canon

Dooku77

The cost of their lenses are just ridiculous. I recently learned that their patent is up, thats why nikon has the motor in the lens now, i could be wrong, but i heard that thru the proprietor of a reputable shop her in socal. if thats truly the case, maybe the cost of their(canon) lenses may get a little more competitive. but as it stands, i cannot get anything close to the 18-200vrii for what i paid retail from canon

I gave up when the 60D was released with a polymer body instead of magnesium. They put out cameras that produce great quality images, but I shouldn't have to pay full frame prices to get a sturdier built camera. I was thinking of the 7D after I sold my 50D and then I stumbled across my D7000. That's all she wrote after that.