Zoom lens recommendation?

MoonManMike

Hi
A newbie here!
I've just bought a D3100, having become more and more fed up with compacts/bridge cameras

I'm used to SLR's, having owned a Pentax a number of years ago (pre-digital era)

I only have the standard lens with the camera and wish to add a zoom lens (for aircraft photography as well as other things)

Can anyone recommend a zoom lens (up to 300mm) that won't break the bank? Realistically, I don't want to spend more than £200 (less would be even better!)

Cheers
Mike

evan

Banned
the nikon 55-200 dx vr is the the only one that i would consider at this price. the uk market was flooded with them, affecting new and used prices. try mpb photographic. (all their stock is tested before they purchase, also warranted). dont get the non vr one. (i have owned both). its your best bet on a budget, works well with a raynox filter too if you fancy trying a bit of macro.

Last edited:

pedroj

You Say "(for aircraft photography as well as other things)"What other things would you like to photograph???

If you wish to shoot birds & sports you will need at least 300mm...

MoonManMike

Thanks for the welcome pedroj :)

The lens will be used for anything really, but particularly aircraft (flying and distant static) and also for cars (on race track etc), possibly a bit of wildlife although not frequently

evan, thanks for the advice. I'll look that up. I really would like a 300mm, but will see what's on offer

AC016

Hi
A newbie here!
I've just bought a D3100, having become more and more fed up with compacts/bridge cameras

I'm used to SLR's, having owned a Pentax a number of years ago (pre-digital era)

I only have the standard lens with the camera and wish to add a zoom lens (for aircraft photography as well as other things)

Can anyone recommend a zoom lens (up to 300mm) that won't break the bank? Realistically, I don't want to spend more than £200 (less would be even better!)

Cheers
Mike

Hi MoonMan, I am an avid plane photographer, so i can give you some friendly advice. First, it depends on how far away you are from the runway. If you can get right up to the fence-line, then anything more than a 200mm is a bit much - unless you want to get closer to let's say the landing gear; but then again, you can crop the picture. If the aircraft are wide body aircraft, i very rarely find myself going out to 200mm, unless i am getting them from behind after they have taken off. Even with an 18-55, you can get some very nice shots if you are close enough, especially with the likes of 330, 340, 747, 777, 380 << they fill up your viewfinder pretty fast. Again, it all depends on how far away you are from the action. And, you can always crop the picture and you will not lose any IQ by cropping the pic from a d3100 a little bit. 100mm equals how many human steps? ;)

evan

Banned
if you want to go up to 300mm the 70-300 ed vr2 is the one to get. i have only tried taking pics at two airshows, and found that the narrower field of view with 300mm makes things very difficult. also, you will need a fairly wide angle for static stuff on the ground so you can get in close and avoid having people getting in the photo.

AC016

D5100Shooter and evans, thanks again.

I think I'm probably looking at the 55-200 then, effectively giving up to x6 mag, if I'm correct (you needed 300mm in the old 35mm format to get x6)

So it looks like the one to go for is the Nikon 55-200, this one?
Nikon AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR lens for D80 D90 D300 D300s D3 D3s D3X MC 0018208021666 | eBay

I've come across 'Nikkor' lenses. Are these the same as Nikon lenses (made by Nikon?)

Yes, Nikkor is Nikon and Nikon is Nikkor.

evan

Banned
yes, thats the one. when i bought mine it was over £300, (before the market was flooded with them). at one point in time you could buy new for less than used! its ok on a budget. nice and light weight too, though it will feel a little plasticky. if you want a warranted one with a return policy try mpb photographic. (as i mentioned previously), they will probably have one at this price , thats the problem with e-bay. you pay the dealers price for a no comeback private sale.

Siddhartha Basu

The Nikon 55-200 VR is obvious choice. Nikon kept its price surprisingly low due to its plastic mount (instead of metal). The lens is very fast - I composed and take photographs from a speeding train and moving butterflies with my Nikon 55-200 VR . On the contray Nikon 55-300 VR is not that fast but 70-300 VR (with 2.5 times pricey) got very fast focusing - fit for bird photography ,,,

steptoe

I have one of those and have no problems with it at all, but did find that the 18-55mm pretty much covers most things I do so spends most of its time in my camera bag

I do use it though for distance landscapes or where I just can't get close enough for 'water' shots without getting too wet .....