Joined the D5100 Club

TedG954

Congrates! You'll love it! Tip #1, turn off active D lighting, it's default is auto on.

I agree. And I've decided to always shoot bracketed. Even if I don't HDR the photo, I still have 3 to pick from. It's a super option that made the D5100 worth the price of admission. Enjoy yours!

KWJams

Turn off default D lighting -- check.

Know how and when to turn on bracketing -- check. I take a lot of action rapid fire shots so bracketing them would slow down the card. I do want to become more familiar with bracketing.

Question; Where is the grid view?

sidewinder1009

grid view is only on live view, I spent my first hour with the camera and google trying to turn the viewfinder grid on :( it was on my D3000 so I am rather miffed it isnt on my D5100 but the rest of the camera makes up for it and the there are focus points on the 1/3 spots so i use them

sidewinder1009

Yeah I was frustrated with no grid view but i shoot raw and post process so i try and get it right but 16.2 mega-pixels means no one will notice if i post crop to get it perfect ;)

KWJams

I have lousy posture so my pictures lean. ;)

Just joking, but seriously I rely on grid view a lot for motorcycle hillclimbs. If the camera is not level then it is difficult to demonstrate how steep the hill side is in a picture. Terrain appears flat. :(

KWJams

I just posted a question on Nikon's support forum. It seems like it would be a software firmware code they omitted and maybe they can do an upgrade if they get enough requests. I'll post the reply when I get it.

Philnz

I just posted a question on Nikon's support forum. It seems like it would be a software firmware code they omitted and maybe they can do an upgrade if they get enough requests. I'll post the reply when I get it.
Welcome aboard. Would so kind to post the link to the Nikon's support forum thanks
Regards Phil

KWJams

I submitted a question about grid view - they sent me an email saying the question has been accepted. Then they sent me an email saying the question has been answered and to click on the link.......nothing. A dead link and searching for the answer has turned up nothing so I sent them a follow up reply saying that they build great cameras but they have a lousy website.

KWJams

Some of you folks will recall the pictures I took last summer that started me in a quest for better low light action shots.
Here is an example of the results with the D5100. Still have some work to get everything dialed in and get comfortable with the new camera.
I still have a long way to go --but getting closer.

BMC 2012 FT_191 (Medium).JPGImage1.jpg