D800 for holiday trip (total newbie)

seppi

Hi everyone,

please don't blacklist me right away :)

Till now I only use cheap beginner dslr's and played a litte (really just a little!) with aperture and focus.

Now I have the chance to borrow a D800 with 28-120 VR lens for a trip to San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego Zoo, Mexico and New York.

I now the D800 only performs best with manual settings and much experience. But it has some automatic features, right?

Would you think a beginner can get decent results with most settings in automatic? Or will I get poor results (not sharp, wrong focus etc.)

If you look at the images of the camera shot here, do you think I'll get the best result (f/8) by using automatic mode?http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1690347434/first-impressions-using-the-nikon-d800/2

(I want to use jpeg most of the time, now and then rar files, and mostly shoot without a tripod)

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
A D800 would not be my first choice for someone new to complex camera systems but if you're careful and you put adjust the settings properly (auto-ISO, quality, etc.,) you should be okay. I will say a better camera would be a D3200, still has very high resolution but also has easy to understand scene settings and unlike the D800, it is much more forgiving.

Phillydog1958

Hi everyone,

please don't blacklist me right away :)

Till now I only use cheap beginner dslr's and played a litte (really just a little!) with aperture and focus.

Now I have the chance to borrow a D800 with 28-120 VR lens for a trip to San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego Zoo, Mexico and New York.

I now the D800 only performs best with manual settings and much experience. But it has some automatic features, right?

Would you think a beginner can get decent results with most settings in automatic? Or will I get poor results (not sharp, wrong focus etc.)

If you look at the images of the camera shot here, do you think I'll get the best result (f/8) by using automatic mode?First Impressions: Using the Nikon D800: Digital Photography Review

(I want to use jpeg most of the time, now and then rar files, and mostly shoot without a tripod)

Thank you very much!

Hi and welcome to the forum. You used the word "Cheap" to describe the beginner DSLR's that you've previously used. I recently bought my wife a D3100 as an anniversary gift. Relatively speaking, I wouldn't call any beginner DSLR cheap. The D3100 is Nikon's beginner DSLR. It set me back $550. When you compare that price to any point-and-shoot camera, I'd say that DSLR's are all pretty expensive, even the beginner models. The average person buys a point-and shoot. With your beginner DSLR, you're ahead of the game. Don't sell yourself cheap. :)

Mark E

The D800 has a P Program mode, read that automatic. This camera is no more difficult to use than any other Nikon.