D7000 Quiet Continuous at Golf Tee

Paul White

I need to take Photos using my D7000 of people teeing off at a golf competition. I would want to use high speed continuous mode in order to catch the swing at the right moment.

I tried this recently, but had the impression that the shutter sound was disturbing to the players.

I read the manuals but cannot find a way of using the quiet or mirror-up modes other than in single shot mode.

Does anybody know if/how this works?

-Paul-

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Paul,

Sorry but it does not work. The quiet mode works by delaying the mirror so it takes more time for the "mirror up-exposure-mirror return" to happen. This goes against high speed continuous. Your options are: using a very long telephoto lens to be further away, or practicing so you get the shot taken at the exact moment. This is what was done before the high speed continuous mode in the film days. So it can be done.

Good luck.

Phillydog1958

Hi Paul,

Sorry but it does not work. The quiet mode works by delaying the mirror so it takes more time for the "mirror up-exposure-mirror return" to happen. This goes against high speed continuous. Your options are: using a very long telephoto lens to be further away, or practicing so you get the shot taken at the exact moment. This is what was done before the high speed continuous mode in the film days. So it can be done.

Good luck.
Yep. He's correct. In this case, "You can't have your cake and eat it, too." :)

evan

Banned
no, you cannot do it. i dont think any dslr does either. if you used a good video camera you could probably extract a still pic from a movie, not that i would realy know.

grandpaw

In this case I think the longer lens would not only eliminated the distracting noise but would also get you farther away causing you yourself to be much less distracting. When choosing between doing multiple exposures of each swing and learning when to get the best shot with one click I am in the one shot group. Maybe because I was brought up using film and relied more on skill and timing than just machine gunning everything and hope one of the shots will be a good one. Another reason I prefer the single shot method is that I do not want to spend days going through thousands of pictures trying to find a good one to show. One of my best friends and I have had this discussion many times over which method gives the better results and he believes more the merrier and I stick with the skill and less pictures method. I guess it is whatever works for the individual. If you started off with shooting digital, you are probably in the multiple shot group and if you started off shooting film you are more apt to try and make every shot count. I really think coming up shooting film first, gives you an advantage and gets you to make EVERY SHOT count instead of hoping one of the many that were taken is acceptable. Sorry about straying from the main subject but I just had to mention this. I think skill will trump fancy equipment every time. Jeff

Last edited:

evan

Banned
i have got to agree with this one. often, while patiently waiting in the local bird hide, i have noticed many people machine gunning even the slightest sign of something in the reeds. me and one of my friends were amazed by the amount of wasted shots a group of people had taken. rather amusing! its a shame that all that shutter clicking kept the wildlife away though.

Paul White

Thanks for the info.

I suppose could use HD movie mode which always leaves the mirror up and try to cut specific frames. Don't think the quality would be much good though.

Thanks Again
-Paul-