Does D7000 mirror box assembly contain the shutter mechanism?

Dave_W

The Dude
Does anyone know if the shutter would automatically be replaced if you had your mirror box assembly replaced? Not too long ago I reported to Nikon that my D7000 had oil spots on the OLPF and they replaced my entire mirror box rather than simply cleaning the filter (which it turns out is the right way to do this otherwise the oil will build up again in the future....thank Nikon!). I know you can replace the shutter assembly w/o replacing the mirror box (did one on my old D70s) but I'm not sure if the shutter would come along for the ride with the mirror box. So does anyone here skilled in camera repair and knows whether I also received a new shutter when they replaced my mirror box?

Dave_W

The Dude
Yeah, it would seem like that but you never know. Part of my pondering is to keep track of actuation count and whether or not I'm back to zero or ?

Dave_W

The Dude
Well, I've still not nailed down an answer to my question but I did find this very cool dissection of a D7000. It looks like the shutter mechanism is connected to the mirror box but not 100% sure. This guy doing the dissection has a good sense of humor. I found myself laughing out loud a couple of times. Especially the "you cannot touch this section or else" followed by "so of course we touched this section..."

D7000 dissection: What lurks beneath the skin of a modern DSLR? - Imaging Resource