Mega pixel size after cropping.

Just-Clayton

I was looking around the net yesterday to see about selling some of my pictures as stock photos. The first company I was setting up said they wanted 4Mb minimum size pic to send. I noticed most of my pictures are only 4-5Mb to start and if I crop them some decrease under 4Mb. I never really noticed till now. So, my question is do I have a setting wrong in the camera to have my pics start at around 4-5Mb???

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
I don't completely understand the whole size thing but I can say that images that I have manipulated in Nik or Photoshop are significantly larger than images I do nothing with. I guess I should preface my statement by saying all my images are converted to JPEG and exported thru Lightroom-4. I have noticed that both the color space I choose as well as the image quality slider in LR-4 (as you're exporting the image you can choose the size) makes a difference, too.

Stangman98

I have noticed your same issue when I was shooting RAW Lossless Compressed. I went to Uncompressed RAW and it really helped. Remember, when you take a photo the entire photo size is 4mb. When you start removing pieces of that photo, you are removing size from the photo. Are you shooting Jpeg or RAW?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Raw files from my D90 are about 11 megs, I wonder how you end up with 4 megs pics with the D300… Are these jpegs?

Stangman98

Raw files from my D90 are about 11 megs, I wonder how you end up with 4 megs pics with the D300… Are these jpegs?

All depends how far in you crop. Also, the difference between RAW lossless compressed and uncompressed imagine are pretty big. I have photos where the RAW imagine is 11 meg and the crop and converted is 4 meg depending on how much I cropped out of the photo. I typically convert to Jpeg at 300 PPI & highest quality via LR 3.2

pedroj

I just grabbed a D300 file 10.6 mb and processed it in CS5 converted to Jpeg and the end image was 10.7 mb..
It wasn't cropped just levels, contrast and sharpening added...

Stangman98

I just grabbed a D300 file 10.6 mb and processed it in CS5 converted to Jpeg and the end image was 10.7 mb..
It wasn't cropped just levels, contrast and sharpening added...

That sounds about right. You didn't take any of it's physical size away by cropping. You added information and increased the size slightly.

Just-Clayton

I havent messed with RAW too much. But, I guess if I want a larger file when I finish cropping I will have to. I was able to keep it close to the same mb if I exported the file first. I will try RAW the next few times out and see. To get quality pics for stock this will have to be the way to go.

Pierro

There's more to selling to stock agencies than meets the eye. I have a friend who's business is photography, full time - he sells prints direct to customers, that sometimes have had to reach 48" on the long end, but in the years of selling through stock agency as another alternative, he's maybe made a couple of hundred pounds over the years. And this guy is a professional. His income doesnt come from stock agencies

The problem ? There are millions of pro toggers out there who's work is every bit as good as my pro friend. He's competing with them all. No offence but lots of amateurs think they're pretty good, and hear about stock photography, and open an account - and some may even get lucky, but be prepared. If its just for the kudos of saying you sold a photo on a stock agency, then you wont be disappointed. If you think you're going to get an income from it, then prepare yourself.

Someone like Alamy ( amongst others ) have very stringent rules. Firstly, you have to send in 4 photos to see if you're good enough, and they'll want to inspect these at 100%. If one fails any of the criteria below, they all fail

FAILURES:

• Camera shake
  • Chromatic aberration
  • Colour cast
  • Compression artifacts
  • Data loss or corruption
  • Digital camera not suitable for Alamy
  • Blemishes - Dust, scratches or sensor dust
  • Excessive sharpening
  • Excessive similars
  • Film rebate or border
  • High contrast
  • Interpolation artifacts
  • Newton’s rings or interference patterns
  • Noise
  • Noticeable retouching
  • Orientation
  • Out of focus
  • Over manipulated
  • Poor exposure
  • Scanning artifacts
  • Size
  • Soft due to size
  • Soft or lacking definition
  • Unsuitable material

Alamy have over 30,000,000 photos available. Thats 30 million. There's one of the other big problems. But you have to try it for yourself, because i guess you never know. You just may have that one unusual photo ..

Just-Clayton

I knew what I was getting inn to. I wanted to get the full gist of what to look for. There is a lot of things they look for. It is also teaching me to better my sellable photos. I know there isn't big money in stock photo. But, with all the macro pics I have, I would give it a try. Yes it is tougher to sell stock photos to a company than it is to please a single customer wanting a few portrait pictures.

Just-Clayton

Also, this post helped me understand how to keep from losing Mb in my photos. Which was my main concerns. Especiially for printing enlargements.