Let me have it...........whatchya think?

RookieDSLR

I wanted to get some critique on how I could make the photo better or if it is just fine the way it is or just what you think of it, I have been shooting photos on my D5100 with a Tamron 70-300mm for about two weeks now and would like to know if I am getting any better at this. Thanks for the honest input ahead of time.

Jeremy V.

Cropped Bird on Fence.jpg

Rick M

Jeremy,

It would help if you posted the exif data.

This is a nice shot, you really nailed the DoF and focus, nice job!

I would say this rates an 8/12.

Afew things that caught my eye,

-1 Composition. Even though it is not a landscape, the fence seems to create a horizon and it looks like the shot is cut in half. I think I would crop out more of the bottom of the fence, say above the cross-rail. Good job keeping the bird off center.

-1 Story. It's a bird on a fence. Good technique but no story. (this is a hit on most of my shots too!)

-1 Impact. Besides the technical stuff, there's really nothing here to say wow about.

-1 Creativity. It a bird on a fence.

I think it would be a bit more interesting if the bird were facing us. I think the best take-away from this shot is the DoF and focus control, excellent job on those elements!

Rick

RookieDSLR

Sorry I didn't even know what exif data was until I literally just google it, sorry here is the data:
F-Stop f/5.6
Exposure 1/160
ISO ISO-200
Focal Length 260mm
Apeture 5
Subject Distance 25.1m
No Flash
I just basically copied all the info from the properties if you need any more info you will have to tell me how to find it. Thanks
I aslo cropped the photo like this becaue I like the colors in horizontal piece of the fence not realizing that would be a negative......I am learning and appreciate the honesty here I can't get that from asking family because they all say the same thing.
Thanks again.

RookieDSLR

cnyram I just looked at your images and all I can say is WOW!!! Someday I want to be that skilled. Thanks for your input.

Jeremy V.

Pierro

I agree with Rick on point of composition .. You've given the bird space to breathe, in the direction that he's facing. Many bird snappers crop bird shots too violently, so they end up looking cramped by the photo frame. Cropping the bottom half of the fence right where Rick suggests is what i'd do too.

Story - i disagree with Rick on this, because this is a live animal, and not a cityscape / landscape / portrait etc, where you can compose at your leisure, and wander round your subject loooking for that exact angle for a great compo. Its a bird shot, so really doesnt need a story, as its not art. Its nice to have some kinda action in bird shots, and you've captured that moment ( well done ) as this does make them more interesting than a bird sat on a wire staring blankly, but you get what you get with skittish subjects like birds.

Creativity ? Same as above

Impact ? Yes, its a bird on a fence, so technically you can't do a lot with wildlife like this. They dont play by the rules and sit there for you till you have the perfect shot.
So its not a criticism from me

I'll go 9/12 because of the fence, and the fact that the bird isnt dominant enough in the frame, plus the whole file needs straightening, as its slightly crooked

RookieDSLR

I see what you mean by the extra bit of cropping, I will be more aware of that in my next photos. As far as the shapening and editing I haven't really got into that yet. I know how to do photoshop stuff and illustrator things but not really on tweaking photos. When I get some time I will read up on photo editing. Thanks for the input and like I said I will try to implement that into my next photos.

Jeremy

Pierro

We're all in the same boat , all of us still learning Jeremy. It was a nice shot to start with, so didnt take much of anything in the way of more processing.
Even the sharpening/gamma/contrast wasnt strictly needed, that was just me being me and my personal taste. Only the crop was a real improvement, so
well done i say !