D3100 Grainy Video

surfgn

Hi guys!

I have been using my D3100 video mode for quite awhile now, and I'm observing lots of noise and grain on the footages, compared to other people. Would someone possibly run me through the ideal settings to use while shooting with video mode?

My ISO doesn't seem to make a difference, and I'm using 24/25fps with 1/50 shutter speed. Fstop is set to lowest with Neutral picture style to color correct later on. However, in low light situations ESPECIALLY the whole footage looks like its being recorded on a phone instead. I'm using the 18-55 kit lens.

Thanks!

SteveH

I make occational use of video on my 3100, and have not seen this issue, however I'm not sure what settings should be used either!

When shooting video, I tend to use full Auto. There is a sticky on this forum with ideal settings for the 3100 video, but I have not sat and tried it yet... it could be worth trying those settings and see if it improves things. Also, what kind of light are you shooting in?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I make occational use of video on my 3100, and have not seen this issue, however I'm not sure what settings should be used either!

When shooting video, I tend to use full Auto. There is a sticky on this forum with ideal settings for the 3100 video, but I have not sat and tried it yet... it could be worth trying those settings and see if it improves things. Also, what kind of light are you shooting in?

Whenever I use either of my cameras, I always shoot manual (indoor), outdoor, I use Speed priority or depending on the lighting condition. I like to control my camera settings. The best way is to use a faster lens. Older MF lenses are cheap and works well with video. This lowers down your ISO quite a bit compared to the kit lens.

Typically, I use 1/60, f2.8 - f4, ISO 640 to 1600. In extreme cases, you can go ISO 6400. Adjust your shutter or ISO if you encouter flicker on your LCD screen. Good luck.

Here is a sample video that I took recently. I used an external mic (Nikon ME-1).

seanm

How can you use an external mike with a d3100? I didn't think it had a way to use one. I am still pretty new to this camera so I could be wrong.

SteveH

How can you use an external mike with a d3100? I didn't think it had a way to use one. I am still pretty new to this camera so I could be wrong.

Looking at Glenn's profile info, I'm guessing he's using a D800, which will take an external mic. You are correct that the D3100 can't use an external unit, which is a shame but it is these features which bump the price up!

surfgn

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately I do not have a video right now, but I think I can take a test shot soon.
I've taken videos when it is outdoors - sunny, outdoors - low light, indoors - brightly lit, indoors - low light.
The only ones that don't give me much of a problem are the ones in outdoors - sunny.

The rest all have grain on them, and I'm not sure why. I compared it to other people's videos taken on the same camera but mine is just far worse. Is it because I'm using a kit lens?

@gqtuazon - What picture style do you use while video taking? Standard? Neutral? I read up that it is better to go Neutral and then edit it after that, but I'm starting to doubt that it will be good for the D3100 :(

I will check out the sticky thread in the meanwhile. Thanks guys!

By the way, I heard that the D3100 video mode automatically adjusts your ISO, is that right?

Last edited:
That was shot at ISO 800 and I think it was at 720 @30fps.
The video was an afterthought but thought I would try it while I was shooting stills. I was surprised at how good the audio was and so was the conductor when I played it back for him later on a good computer and speakers.

surfgn

That's great! Was your video shot with the 18-55 kit lens? I'll try to get sample video of my footages for you all to see. Thanks :)

surfgn

This is a sample shot that I got, the sun is up and I'm in my room. You can see that the grain is terrible :(

I tried using Full Auto Mode.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hey guys thanks for the replies.
The rest all have grain on them, and I'm not sure why. I compared it to other people's videos taken on the same camera but mine is just far worse. Is it because I'm using a kit lens?

@gqtuazon - What picture style do you use while video taking? Standard? Neutral? I read up that it is better to go Neutral and then edit it after that, but I'm starting to doubt that it will be good for the D3100 :(

By the way, I heard that the D3100 video mode automatically adjusts your ISO, is that right?

I'm not really familiar with the D3100 but I use standard picture control with my cameras.

Before you hit the record button, using live view, adjust your Shutter and/or ISO until you get the desired lighting. Sometimes you might encounter some flicker even though you already adjusted it to 60 or 50 hz. Adjust the shutter speed and you should get rid of it. Increase your ISO as needed. Be careful when using your kit lens since the aperture changes as you zoom in or out, thus changes your overall settings. Focus manually since the mic will pick up the noise that it creates whenever it tries to acquire the subject.

Practice practice practice and have fun.

surfgn

Have you all taken a look at the sample video I posted? Do you think there is something wrong with my camera or its just normal?

AxeMan - Rick S.

Sufgn I looked at your video and what I saw would be typical if I were shooting a still with my D3000 inside at a higher ISO.

The D3100 replaced the D3000 which I have. I know when shooting still pictures the D3000 it does not handle high ISO very well at or above 800 ISO. I can't see why a video would turn out better than a still would. I don't know what improvements were made when Nikon replace the D3000 with the D3100.

Try shooting another video outside at a lower ISO and I think you're going to see and improvement. That be the case then that will tell you if it's the camera or not.

I know Glenn has shot quite a few video's with his cameras, so you got some pretty sound advise there, however if you watch some of his video's he has posted here keep in mind he's using higher end Nikon's that can handle the higher ISO's.

The very few times I have use video it's been nice to have at a push of a button, however I don't expect to get a drop dead recording when using it. It's my opinion that if I want a good video of something I'm going to reach for my camcorder before reaching for my Nikon.

I'm not a video guy when it come to my Nikon, this is just my take on the Nikon 3000 line when it comes to video's.