New Guy from Portland, OR

lefthook

hi everyone!

new guy in both the forums and photography.

have had a d60 that i have barely used until now and im looking forward to learning tricks and tips around here.

my father used to have a d70 and some other older nikon stuff but have recently been into canons.

i put his 70mm lend on my d60 and have been using that to take pictures of some figures i have. put back the stock 18-55 a few hours ago for the first time since taking it out of the box.

anyhow, see you all around here.

Eye-level

Banned
Hello Portland.

I'd like to see the figure pictures.

Also the 70mm lens is that a zoom because Nikon doesn't make a 70 prime?

At any rate welcome to the forum. :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you go through the camera's manual and learn how to use it's features.

If you don't have one yet, invest on an external flash like the Nikon SB 700. It will make a big difference.

fotojack

Welcome, lefthook. Hope you enjoy reacquainting yourself with your D60. I'm pretty sure you'll have fun here, as we're a pretty laid back bunch. Got any questions....don't be shy. Ask and ye shall be answered. :)

lefthook

@ eye-level

thanks! this is what's written on the lens af-s 18-70mm nikkor 1:3.5-4.5g ed. forgive me but i do not know what the difference is from a prime lens from a regular. i will look for a proper spot to post a random pic around here.

@ gqtuazon

thanks! i have an sb600 but i dont know how to use it properly. my pictures are the worst when i use flash. so i barely use it. heh. its really rare i pull it out when i take pics.

@slowpoke and fotojack

thanks! i just came back back from a weekend trip and took some pics with it but used my wife's point and shoot for most of our pics.

is it considered a crime if i post tweeked pics?

To answer your question:

Prime=fixed focal length i.e. 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 60mm, etc.
Zoom=variable focal length i.e. 12-24mm, 24-70mm, 35-70mm, 70-200mm etc.

The lenses come with different apertures, some fixed (pro series), and some variable depending on focal length.

I'm certain that as long as the photo isn't completely white or completely black (over/underexposed), then it's going to be a proper shot to post up here.