Ready for upgrade

joekel

Hi everyone I am new to the forum but not Nikon. I need help deciding if I should purchase a D7000 now or wait to see if a refresh happens at the end of the year(D7100) I currently own a D40. I am also concerned about the back focusing issues that seem to be all over the web. I have tried the D7000 at my local camera shop it seems amazing. By the way this site is fantastic. Thanks joekel

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I've been more than happy with my D7000. I don't know if there will be a D7100 this year but I have doubts. I think we will see a D400 or 600 before an improved D7000. Main reason is that Nikon have to replace the older batteries of the D300, 300s. They are not allowed to sell these in Japan anymore. The D7000 already has the new approved battery (same as D800).

As much as it's nice to be able to say that you have the latest and the best, is that really what you need? Only you can answer that. Would you rather have a great camera now or wait for the announcement of a new model that you might even not get before another 3-4 months because of the demand?

I know it's not easy to decide, but at some point, you will make the decision and will live with it. I see no reason why you would not be very happy with a D7000.

Think about it and when you get sick of thinking, go out and spend that money. :)

joekel

Marcel thanks for the advice,like I said I have had the opurtunity to try the D7000 with my lens at a local camera shop it was amazing.The big thing for me is that my budget right now will allow it!! I guess with technology you never know, the D7000 seems like a winner that will be around for a while(like the D700) maybe nikon will enhance it with firmware updates. Also have you had any issues with back focusing seems like the web is full of complaints.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Marcel thanks for the advice,like I said I have had the opurtunity to try the D7000 with my lens at a local camera shop it was amazing.The big thing for me is that my budget right now will allow it!! I guess with technology you never know, the D7000 seems like a winner that will be around for a while(like the D700) maybe nikon will enhance it with firmware updates. Also have you had any issues with back focusing seems like the web is full of complaints.

As I said, I had no problem with the D7000. I have to warn you though. If you go pixel peeping it will look soft because of the size of the pic at that magnification. Also, I found the camera was a little more sensitive to motion blur. My way around that one was to use the Quiet mode which I find absolutely amazing (specially for concerts).

So what you are saying now is that you do have the money for the D7000. But since we don't know what the new "rumored" models will cost and when they will come out, this might make your decision making easier.

Good luck.

grandpaw

Thanks again for the advice. Looks like I'm getting a D7000. I will be here bugging everyone for advice joekel

Congratulations on choosing the D7000. I think you will be very happy with it. You might try checking out my Nikon D7000 tips thread that can be accessed below in my signature. I currently have 58 tips in the thread and add more each week. I think you might find some helpful information in it. Jeff

Last edited: