d3100 getting going

Jonny g

Well I've had the camera a fortnight and manged to take 1 shot! I ve got several books on photography and even on using the camera but I don't know what to do next. Its very complicated. As anyone else faced this problem?

pedroj

Well I've had the camera a fortnight and manged to take 1 shot! I ve got several books on photography and even on using the camera but I don't know what to do next. Its very complicated. As anyone else faced this problem?

Not I...If you are having problems put the camera in auto and take several shots of different subjects in differing lighting then put the images on your computer and check the exif data...After you feel more confident use aperture priority of F5.6...Have fun and don't stress out...Your manual has some great information in it...

SteveH

Hi Jonny,
I have had my D3100 for about 2 months now, and my advice would be to just play and enjoy it! Not every picture you take has to be "A keeper", so try sitting with the manual and camera in the front room, read about a function or setting, and then try it using an ornament or something as the subject. You'll soon see how different settings affect the outcome!

pedroj

Hi Jonny,
I have had my D3100 for about 2 months now, and my advice would be to just play and enjoy it! Not every picture you take has to be "A keeper", so try sitting with the manual and camera in the front room, read about a function or setting, and then try it using an ornament or something as the subject. You'll soon see how different settings affect the outcome!

Great advice...Another thing for you to learn with is You Tube..Some great tutorials to help you understand..

Last edited:

ZekeMenuar

Put the camera in auto and go take pictures. Left alone the D3100 takes very good pictures.
Later on you can make a note of how the camera does certain shots and make your own adjustments from there.

Jonny g

thanks for the advice. I have taken a few snaps. It is a very easy camera to use and navigate around. the above advice is well received but I don't want to just point and shoot in auto mode. I want to use it to take interesting pictures. There are as I see it two issues 1, using the camera and 2, learning how to take good photos. I haven't got the bug yet but I am on the right track.

Jonny g

thanks for your advice. having a decent camera has made me think more about taking pictures rather than just point and press. I have got going thankfully and I am quite pleased with the camera.