First "Studio" shots

shady195

I picked up some stands and umbrellas for my hot shoe flashes to have mobile on the go lighting if needed. I am not a pro and have my own idea as to what more I would need and what I should do in the future going forward but would love to hear your guys thoughts

White sheet were used, I know the crinkles show, but I did not want to post process these aside from some cropping to get full feedback and attention.

2 white soft umbrellas were used, one set 2 feet from subhect at 1/4th power at eye level with the subject, flash set to bounce rather then shooting through the umbrella.

Second was set about 3ft away about 4 ft high at 1/4th power as well, also bouncing off the subject.

The subject is my wife by the way :apologetic:

shoot-038-L.jpg

shoot-033-Edit-L.jpg

shoot-076-Edit-L.jpg

shoot-094-L.jpg

shoot-077-XL.jpg

This is where I keep the "subject" :frog:

shoot-021-L.jpg

pedroj

Very good first attempt....

Ok Here are a couple of things that may help....The lighting is good, but see how the shadow has landed on your background? If you bring her forward 6 to 8 feet I think that might help, plus take out the wrinkle...Another thing as your wife is a full bodied woman, [she is pretty] if you pose her with her hip facing toward the camera as in pic 3...

Have a look at YouTube for some tips and ideas and keep on trying different things...

Last edited by a moderator:

JulianK

Decent first go. Try this:

Use reflector brolly not shoot-through as main light, set it just out of frame to your left, 2-3 foot taller than the subject, 4 foot in front of the subject at a 45 degree angle from her and facing down at a 45 degree angle. Place the second light as shoot through, quarter power, just out of frame to your right, beside the subject (3-4 feet away) at her elbow level. Finally use a reflector to bounce the main light back up and fill out those eye shadows.

Below is an extravagant shot and I am a professional - but I attach this (very old) image because I used practically the same lighting kit you used and this is the kind of lighting you'll get from playing around with the above simple formula.

missy_malone.jpg