Nikkor 70-300mm lens

Debrus

I am thinking about getting the Nikkor 70-300mm Zoom VRII lens and wondered if anyone had any comments on it positive or negative?
Thanks for any input. I have 55-200mm now and need little more zoom and the 70-330 I think has automatic focus feature.

Geoffc

Fantastic for the money. My wife has one and loves it. As long as you have light on your side it will give you great results.

Debrus

Thanks and I look forward to using it and will post new photos when I do. I am a beginner so I get very excited about new things and opportuniities to take better photos. I just love animals and nature.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks and I look forward to using it and will post new photos when I do. I am a beginner so I get very excited about new things and opportuniities to take better photos. I just love animals and nature.

Have fun with the lenses but remember that opportunities don't make better photos, more photos eventually make better photos. Practice, practice and keep at it. You'll see your pictures getting better after a while.
Good luck and have fun with your Nikon.

Debrus

You are so right, when I first started taking photos I was afraid to try anything different and now I just take lots of differnt things and am amazed at some of the results. I do find practice is what it will take. Appreciate your comments.

Bukitimah

I hope you have decided. If you got the extra $, 70-200 f2.8 would be a better choice. However for the cost you are paying for the 70-300mm, no regret.

I have one and love it. But I am considering trading it for the 70-200.

gfinlayson

The 70-300VR is a great lens at a reasonable price. The 70-200 f/2.8 is faster, but doesn't have the same reach, and is considerably bigger and heavier. It also costs three times as much!

amonamarth

I went to Sammy's the other day with my body to try that lens. I was blown away when I pressed half-way and saw/heard the VR in action.

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

stobert

I picked up a 70-300 this afternoon, have only taken a few shots with it but results are very good. I can't wait to get out with it this weekend.:)

Debrus

I did get the Nikon 70-300 a couple of weeks ago and it is great for long distance shots but I still use 70-200 for everyday shots. I did get a couple of eagle and her babies with 300 but I would have needed a much bigger lens to get excellent shots. Love it so far.

Bukitimah

I have a AFS 70-300 VRII and was thinking of upgrading to a 70-200 f2.8. The 70-300 was a fantastic lens except for low light. If you are able to shoot with flash, images can be great. I find it difficult when subject is at a distance under low light and you cannot use flash.

You should be able to pick a pre-owned for around $550.