best diffuser for SB-400?

eurotrash

Looking for a simple diffuser for the SB-400. I know it's not the best flash, but I just haven't had time or funding to upgrade yet. Is there something out there I should take a look at? I've searched Amazon but everything seems like it's made for higher end flashes.

I don't need anything extreme, just something to pop onto the flash and diffuse. I'd rather not be super cheap about it, but I can't see it being that expensive honestly. Options?

EDIT: I'm using it to shoot portraits close range, probably indoors as well as outdoors in softer light. Obviously this flash does nothing in the middle of the day in the sun :)

Obir

I use the OM-400 Omni-Bouce by Sto-Fen on my sb400.
It fits perfectly over it and it does a decent job. Amazon has it for about $11.
It will also decrease the range of the flash considerably though.

eurotrash

Thanks for the replies. I'm shooting one of my friends' head shots in a little while and she has a TON of hot friends that may want work done as well. Trying to come off more professional so I can get the business of them is important. Whether they use tissues for certain things is irrelevant, but I can't see myself doing that.. :) Looking for a more umbrella like solution at the moment since I want more spread of light.

Last edited by a moderator:

eurotrash

Yea, that's where I'm headed next. I saw another post you made referencing this slave.
Want something like this..

Amazon.com: Fotodiox 6"x8" Softbox for Flash, Speedlight, Nikon SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900 SB-910, Canon Speedlite 380EX, 430EX, II, 550EX, 580EX, II, 600EX-RT, Vivita Flash, Sunpack, Nissin,Sigma, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonica Lumix Flashes:

...but can't find one that is specifically for the SB400.

Will the slave work with the d5100 though? Can i use my existing sb400 as well as the slave? Sorry, total noob when it comes to flash photography. low light? different story :)

westmill

Banned
Yea, that's where I'm headed next. I saw another post you made referencing this slave.
Want something like this..

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Soft...te-Panasonica/dp/B003Y30334/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

...but can't find one that is specifically for the SB400.

Will the slave work with the d5100 though? Can i use my existing sb400 as well as the slave? Sorry, total noob when it comes to flash photography. low light? different story :)
Yes I remember seeing your similar posts and thought it was a bit like the same answer.
Yes.... A slave gun is simply triggered by another flash firing.
If you want good results with you SB400 on camera, try this.... Fit a diffuser like the stofen....
angle the flash at 45 degrees..... get a piece of white reflective card, about the size of a playing card and fasten it
to the back of the flash with an elastic band ! Seriously... you wont believe the results ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

fotojack

Yes... the many uses of butter tubs, super glue and velcro !!!!! :)

LOL No butter tubs for this cowboy! :) I made them from the same material (bonded foam core) that the $30 store bought one is made of. Two foam core panels, bought from a craft store (Michaels) with a thin wire inserted between the two. They self bond to each other, and voila! :)....diffuser! :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah, I like this setup, too. But I made my own for less than $10 Cdn. Quite easy to make, too.

View attachment 10357

I also made a yellow one and I'm working on a silver lamme one. Nice thing about making your own is that you can customize it in any size you want.

Jack, I can't open your attachment. I don't know why but it just won't lead anywhere.

fotojack

Jack, I can't open your attachment. I don't know why but it just won't lead anywhere.

Yeah, I tried the link myself, and I get the same thing.....nothing! And I know why. I posted the shot directly from the memory card and forgot to save it to my computer! lol I'll have to take another shot of it and post it. Tomorrow, though. Tonight I'm just too tired. :)

fotojack

Sorry I took so long with the pictures, euro. I've been a little busy, to say the least. :) Here are 3 or 4 shots of the one I made.

DSC_0811.jpg DSC_0806.jpg DSC_0809.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm interested Jack, what material did you use to make your diffuser? It looks good and I've been looking around at my local store and they don't have anything like that.

fotojack

Marcel, it's called craft foam. It's sticky on one side, covered by a protective film of paper. You peel the paper off and stick two of these craft sheets together. In between two sheets of craft foam you place a wire (floral stem wire @ 20 gauge). (fil pour tige @ 20 calibre ) The wire is about 18" long (46cm). Each sheet sheet of foam is about 1/16th " thick, so two stuck together is about 1/8th" thick.

Marcel, you need to go to an arts and crafts store, where they sell ribbons and glue and Styrofoam balls and school supplies and such. 1-800-MICHAELS
(1-800-642-4235)is the only number I can come up with for Michael's. Perhaps there's an alternative in your area.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks Jack, there is an art supply store in Sherbrooke. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Bukitimah

Hi, I have been doing macro for about a year. I realised flash is very important. Initially, I use the external flash and shoot it directly at the insect. It is too harsh in my opinion. So, I tilt it at 45 but the lighting is not even. So I add a bounce card.

With these changes, I ask myself a few questions but I don't really know the answers. I would therefore like to hear from you guys here if you know the answers.

1) If the direct flash is too harsh, when I add a diffuser cap and tilt it 45 away from the insect, then where do the TTL comes in?
2) A bounce card does help to redirect more lights to the subject in open area. What is the difference if I have a good diffuser cup on the flash gun that can provide even distribution of the light?
3) Most new flash gun now comes with a diffuser and bounce card that can be slot within the gun. Arent they able to do most of the job or we still need to do add on?

I try to use the flash gun diffuser and add an external diffuser cup. Instead of aiming directly on the subject, I tilt it at 45. I took another using a bounce card without the diffuser. Frankly, I cannot tell which photo belongs to which setting. Am I not detail enough to notice it or just them they produce the same result?

Depending on your subject, if you need to shoot at a bigger area to fill in the light, I personally think you cannot use a bounce card but to use a diffuser cap. If that is the case, the diffuser cap is more essential than the bounce card.

Please help with your comments.