Critique my photo

mike420

OK here we go, I want your honest opinion so I can learn and be able to take better photos. Remember don't hold back!
Sea Oats 1.jpg

Shoot with D300s, Nikon 18-200 VR,f/5.6, 1/250sec.,ISO-320,Focal Lenght 80mm

Attachments

• Sea Oats 1_edited-1.jpg
    Sea Oats 1_edited-1.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 216

Rick M

I agree with Jeff on the underexposure. I think a composure keeping the stems below the horizon would have helped isolate them more. Nice sharp focus.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

I agree with the above, Underexposed, and would have like to see the stems isolated a little but I make the same mistake.
What I do like though is that you used the rule of thirds well, and the rule of diagonal lines. Also why is the horizon on the water not 100% level, that would be my #1 thing to fix and then just bump up the exposure a little. maybe 2/3 - 1 stop.
Did you possibly have the exposure set for it to be sunny and then the clouds rolled in to leave you less light?

MrRamonG

The under-exposure is the image's biggest problem. Leaves the picture looking flat. Your subject, at least to me, is not interesting; perhaps that is due to the lack of sharpness. I find the dark, looming skies captures my attention more. This image leaves me unsure of what you are trying to show.

mike420

Thanks for the input. I thought it was a little under exposed too. As for he sharpness I am not pleased with that either. I think its time to invest in some good lenses. the exposure was set for sunny and then the thunder storm started to roll in, didn't have much time to get back to the truck before it started raining.
Thanks again for the input and will try to get the horizon level next time. I have turned the grid on in the view finder to help with that.