Moth - from a beginner

silverthornne

Hi all,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while and finally decided to post a photo for critique. I recently graduated to a Nikon D7000 from a Canon Powershot S95. I have a long journey to go in my photo skills but I know I won't improve much unless I request critique / advice from fellow photo enthusiasts.

Anyway, here's a fascinating visitor we had the other day. Taken with the 18-200mm VRII lens (was included in my kit) at ISO 100. Exposure at 3 secs:

http://flic.kr/p/bvkxHL

Any and all comments welcome :)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Mike150

Hey Silver.
I just love Bug Shots. (My wife says I'm nuts).

I'm far from being an expert at commenting on others photos, but I find all the white area on the left a bit distracting. It pulls my eyes away from the subject. Perhaps if you were to crop the photo into a Portrait view (long edge running vertical), you can remove all the white allowing the eye to focus on the moth.

silverthornne

Too much negative space...yea, that's a good suggestion. I didn't consider a portrait orientation as I was so focused on not centering the subject. That's the thing I need to work with the most; not to focus so much on following the "rules" and be more natural with the process.

Alternate crop:

_D7K6562_crop.jpg

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

silverthornne

I originally tried to post it that way but it was limiting me to a 38kb image size so I went with the Flickr links. My PC is damaged so I'm using an Android app to post - that may be the reason for the size limit.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Eye-level

Banned
Hey you got the eyes in focus that counts for something...the interplay between the sticker and the moth is just exquisite tell me the D7000 is nothing short of amazing...a lot of this photo is owed to the lens too...it's a very nice snap I like it...it reminds me of my house... :)

silverthornne

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

I do love taking shots of bugs. They're so fascinating, and the right lens can give us amazing shots of details we usually just can't see.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2