Accidental changes to exposure time

piotr

Do you know how to prevent accidental changes to exposure time while shooting in manual mode? The main button that controls it is just under the thumb and unfortunately it has tendency to rotate "by itself". When I am shooting with studio flash it's bad news.
Love the new camera otherwise!
Thanks!!

Eye-level

Banned
I hear you on this one...you just have to get used to it and watch where your thumb is resting...it's a damn good question...yes it happens to all of us...pay attention to what you are doing is the best answer I have... :)

crisscross

Agree - you have to check settings just before pressing the button, with experience the settings can be seen at the bottom of the viewfinder.

I have related problem with D7000: on playback, you use the multi-dial to go back & forward, but if you have images enlarged (+), you use instead the same dial that changes exposure and it is not always as clear as it might be whether you have enlarged or not.

There are other circumstances too, eg when flipping between User settings - useful or fatal if done without a check!

piotr

Got some good news. My d700 manual says that the shutter speed in M mode can be locked using fn button! Go to "custom setting menu", in "f controls" pick "f5 Assign FUNC button", choose "FUNC button + dials", press fn button and rotate main dial until little "L" sign appears or disappears beside "M" on display. When "L" is on the shutter speed is locked! I tried, it seems to be working. :)

DaveKoontz

First, it's good to know that I'm not the only one that is "all thumbs". Second, Thanks plotr, very good information.... and Eye-Level, you are right "pay attention"! I have a tendency to
set the shoot and forget about it. Wrong! Thank you both for the information and advice.

westmill

Banned
Thats something Ive done a few times too. Last time, the shutter speed was raised, and strangely I kept and used
the pic cos I liked the effect lol. Good info on the Fn button. I never thought about that.
mmmmmm I have a cunning plan lol