Unable to get short depth of field

Kevin C

Hi- I'm new to Nikonites and was wondering if the reason I am unable to get a small depth of field has to do with lighting. When I take a portrait or try a close-up it seems everyting is in focus to infinity. Thanks for your help. Any suggestions would be greatly apprecieated.

Also I'm using a Nikon D5100 with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lenses. Maybe there's a setting I'm missing. I use Aperture priority mode with the lowest number.

Kevin

Last edited:

Dr Daniels

Your available light has little to do when trying to get a shallow depth of field.

Anyway, depth of field is a product of aperture, focal length, and distance to subject.
Take your 55-300mm to 105mm, take a head-shot at max aperture and your depth of field should be quite shallow.

Last edited:

Kevin C

Thanks for your reply Dr Daniels. I try and use both lenses 18-55mm and 55-300mm and when doing portrait I was capturing full body and was not that close. Maybe I should try getting closer to blur the backgroung it sounds.

Dr Daniels

Try to use your 55-300 at max aperture (wide open), you should obtain a shallow depth of field.
If you really want to isolate your subject from the background, consider something like the 50mm f/1.8D.

Last edited:

PhotoAV8R

...wondering if the reason I am unable to get a small depth of field has to do with lighting.
Welcome to the forum, Kevin.

Photography, and every aspect of it, has to do with lighting. Small (i.e., shallow) depth of field comes from a wide aperture, long focal length and close camera-to-subject distance. The focal length and distance don't have anything to do with light, but aperture does.

Play around here.

BWTHDIK