Lens for action

Skribbles

hey fellas,

So I'm looking around a bit for a new lens for high speed action (RC models), I have a D7000.

I have the 55-300m 4.5-5.6 but I really do not like it, atleast not for action, the auto focusing is too slow and just overall I just don't really like it.

I would like something with a max around 200mm - 300mm (more is better of course but would prefer a better overall lens than an extra little bit in zoom).
I would prefer to spend less, don't really have the budget to spend big at the moment.

Heres a couple of shots I've taken with the 55-300mm
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XxPsHy-U50rSsfd3zf0IDtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6id99flqHCBpZPUZ3lGtMtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mfxL9mjMK3z1ZOYFQ9xOfNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/evzHhuRYDQv3n1sVjaIF2tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DmLxri_CQ8wIpk0kp7E5xtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qfUTYN3-OHGRQtVJ2v2Q09MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
hrm, I have the 55-300 and have gotten some pretty good shots of moving cars. Your slow AF may have more to do with the lighting conditions and camera settings than the lens though.

Instead of throwing money at a more expensive, faster (aperture wise) lens I would try fiddling with the ISO and shutter speed to get the results that you want. Speaking of, what exactly do you want to do with the photos?

Also, have you tried holding the shutter button down to lock focus while panning? It does take some practice to get it right.

Skribbles

Thanks for the reply.

Lighting is usually pretty good, outdoors and usually sunny, a couple of times has been overcast.
I used to keep ISO as low as I could but lately have been using auto ISO (upper limit of 1600), and manual shutter (from around 160-800).

I don't really plan on doing much to/with the photos, just would like to be able to get more consistent results (partly my own fault but I figure a better lens/faster focus would help).

I do occasionally hold down the focus lock button, or just use manual focus and wait for the object to reach the right spot but while it can bring out some nice photos, it makes it a bit harder to be spontaneous about it and get those ones that really stand out (I'm just not that good).

My father has a 55-200 VR lens which I might see if I could borrow for next time, I have used it a couple of times already (for other stuff) and it seems to be a much better feeling/built lens.

Stangman98

I recommend the 70-300 ED VR glass or the 70-200 2.8 glass. Feel free to check out my site. The Radial Rumble shots are with a 55-200 and 70-300

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I had the 55-200 and honestly didn't like it compared to the 55-300. The 300 feels like it's built much better and produces better images. I can't speak for the 70-300, but I don't imagine it'll be much different from the other two (since it's in the same aperture and price range).

Honestly, I don't think you're going to get a faster focus unless you get a D800 or D4. The first time I messed around with a D4 I literally went 'WHAT!?' after pointing it at a subject and taking 11 shots in 1 second. The matrix metering in both is incredible, but so is the price.

btw, what focus mode are you using? Have you checked to make sure the 55-300 is focusing correctly with your camera? (others have reported inconsistent focusing with the D7000)

nick9

I am using 18-105 on D5100 and wife is using 18-200 on D7000, for motorsports photography. Last week was a real challenge as the clouds rolled in and out by the second. At least when it got dark we could just break out our SB-700s and fiddle a little less with settings.
We have been well pleased with results so far.

Steve.B

I use a Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS either with or without a 1.4 TC, my wife uses a 18-200, and a friend uses the 55-300 that you mention and all of us get reasonably sharp motorsport and bird in flight images, the one thing that made action photo's easier for me was using the D300s instead of the D90 ( not better.... but easier, as the AF system on the D300s is superb )

Skribbles

I recommend the 70-300 ED VR glass or the 70-200 2.8 glass. Feel free to check out my site. The Radial Rumble shots are with a 55-200 and 70-300

The 70-300 ED VR looks alright, I'd love the 70-200 2.8 but unfortunately its way out of my budget at the moment.

I had the 55-200 and honestly didn't like it compared to the 55-300. The 300 feels like it's built much better and produces better images. I can't speak for the 70-300, but I don't imagine it'll be much different from the other two (since it's in the same aperture and price range).

Honestly, I don't think you're going to get a faster focus unless you get a D800 or D4. The first time I messed around with a D4 I literally went 'WHAT!?' after pointing it at a subject and taking 11 shots in 1 second. The matrix metering in both is incredible, but so is the price.

btw, what focus mode are you using? Have you checked to make sure the 55-300 is focusing correctly with your camera? (others have reported inconsistent focusing with the D7000)
View attachment 9659View attachment 9660
Hmm, I spose I could have a not so great 55-300, it just feels clunky, not smooth (both zoom and focus), I don't know of anyone else with one to compare.

Haha, the D4 would be marvelous but yeah, that price tag...

I mainly use AF-C or AF-A, I know using AF-C is not helping what I'm seeing but when using continuous high shots I just miss too much with AF-A, would rather have a shot thats slightly out than not at all.

Do you mean the backfocus issue?
I attached a couple of pics of a barcode which I layed out on an angle and took a pic level to the ground, both are focused on the number 2 ( even used the focus point identifier thingy in the camera to confirm), I realize it's not the 'correct' way of doing it but figured it would give some idea.
One is with my 18-55 and the other my 55-300.

I use a Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS either with or without a 1.4 TC, my wife uses a 18-200, and a friend uses the 55-300 that you mention and all of us get reasonably sharp motorsport and bird in flight images, the one thing that made action photo's easier for me was using the D300s instead of the D90 ( not better.... but easier, as the AF system on the D300s is superb )

I havn't done a lot of wildlife stuff with it the 55-300 mainly gets used for the RC Racing, I would like to, just a matter of going out and doing it.
In my opinion it can be difficult at times with the RC's, being so small and so fast while also trying to fill the frame with them, I have used this lens for some 1/1 off-road racing and it seemed alright for that, much easier and a higher success rate.

Last edited:

pedroj

Do you have your auto focus set AF-C...Your D7000 has an AF motor so a 80-200mm F2.8 will do a great job...

Not sure of the cost but could be a $1000 cheaper then the 70-200mm

Last edited:

Bukitimah

If 200 mm zoom is enough, the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 is the one. Of course Tamron or Sigma have a cheaper version. If Nikon is a must and budget is a problem, nikon 70-300 VR is the next best.

For outdoor, I don't think it is a problem. Your D7000 should be able to hit 5 fps. I think it is more of a practice than equipment. I have a nikon 70-300 but my problem is more on low lights. So the f2.8 comes in handy.

Skribbles

I would suggest 70-300VR too, great IQ, great price, and at high shutter speed keep the VR off to get lightning fast focusing...
I reckon that's the one I'll end up getting, should be a bit of an improvement over the 55-300 and is cheaper than most other options.
Unless I can find a different branded tele-zoom.

Do you have your auto focus set AF-C...Your D7000 has an AF motor so a 80-200mm F2.8 will do a great job...

Not sure of the cost but could be a $1000 cheaper then the 70-200mm

Yeah, I usually do have it set on AF-C, only on slower/easier stuff and when I don't really need/want the high speed continuous that I have it on AF-A

I would love either of those lenses you mentioned but it's not in my budget at the moment.

If 200 mm zoom is enough, the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 is the one. Of course Tamron or Sigma have a cheaper version. If Nikon is a must and budget is a problem, nikon 70-300 VR is the next best.

For outdoor, I don't think it is a problem. Your D7000 should be able to hit 5 fps. I think it is more of a practice than equipment. I have a nikon 70-300 but my problem is more on low lights. So the f2.8 comes in handy.

Yeah, I reckon 200mm should be enough, I could always get a bit closer, if I need a bit more length, I could just use a teleconverter.
Nikon isn't a must, would be nice but if there are other decent options available, I'm willing to try them.

I use AF-C to take advantage of the D7000's 6fps, not all shots are in perfect focus but I still get a few decent shots without missing too much.
Since I would be using this lens outside mostly, the low light shouldnt be too much of an issue.
Although I use it while on off-road trips and stuff, in pretty sheltered areas where a lens that performs better in lower light would be a good advantage but I spose I'll have to settle for a compromise for the time being.