Buy 700 now, or wait for deeper discount?

Pamp81

Hi all. Glad to find this forum! I have been dying to buy a D700 for months. I'm so happy to see the price drop---but should I buy now, or wait for deeper discounts? (and how long of a wait for deeper discounts will I have??)

Thanks!
Pam

Dr Daniels

Hi Pam, you should wait until stocks of D800 (and D700) are steady at photo stores. Then I think the discounts should come. So you're probably looking at May.

bluenoser

Banned
See my original reply to this question here: http://nikonites.com/d700/5288-how-...-d700-now-march-april-2012-a-2.html#post50667

(here is most of it again)

Hello Pam and welcome to the forum.

Well the official retail price for new D700s has just been dropped so I don't see any further across the board price drops coming any time soon for new D700s. The impact on the used market is still unfolding but no doubt there is a downward pressure on used D700 prices. Again, the prices in the used market aren't going to go into a free fall as the D700 is still a fabulous, high quality camera body. Based on my review of the used market on Fred Miranda - D700 bodies only are usually going for between $1,750 and $1,900 and with the grip included up to $2,000. I'm not sure which area you live in (Canada, US or other) but local market conditions will vary of course.

I really don't think things will soften up substantially in the near term but it's all supply and demand and the demand for D700s appears to remain very strong. Don't forget that when any new product is released, just as there are the people who pounce on the newest offering there is another large group who are standing on the sidelines waiting to snap up the "old" product. In this case another dynamic is at work - those who never thought FX would come down to the sub-$2,000 level making FX very attainable. So along with the usual deal seekers, you have those in the DX world having a real opportunity to get into the FX domain with one of Nikon's best cameras. So yes, you can get a pretty decent deal now on D700s but with such strong fundamentals behind the demand for a D700, I just don't see the used market giving up much more than you're getting today.

miknoypinoy

GET IT NOW. lol. like James said. they probably won't drop down for a bit. right now they're hard to find since the price went down. ease your anxieties as I did a week ago lol. I'm very happy with my d700.

Slothead

That's clear as mud, eh Pam? Well you may just have to decide for yourself how much it is worth to you to have it now. What are you shooting with presently?

bluenoser

Banned
That's clear as mud, eh Pam?

If you've got a high school diploma it sure is. ;)

Let me boil all those big words down to one simple phrase: "Pam - Get the D700"

Well you may just have to decide for yourself how much it is worth to you to have it now.

Who else is going to decide for Pam? Dr. Phil perhaps? :)

Ultimately it's always down to the individual to decide for themselves. She says she's dying to have the D700 but wants to buy it at the absolute rock bottom price (as long it isn't too long of a wait)

However Pam is essentially asking for someone to tell her definitely what is going to happen to the price of D700s in near, mid and long term: Sorry, fresh out of crystal balls. However it is pretty clear what my best guess was.

How is your crystal ball working? :rolleyes:

Sambr

Crystal Balls..............hmmmmm I would be out of a Job :( Agree Pam buy it now. Because at whatever price you buy it at - there will be a cheaper one the week after. There always is.