new lens

Rick M

I've beeh thinking about that one also, will be nice to see your work with it. Lots of great reviews, should be very sharp!

Every time I go out to play I try to get some nice close ups with one of my zooms and it just frustrates me. As soon as I got home today from shooting I sat down and ordered it. Even got the 3 to 5 days shipment so I would have it before next weekend. From some of the reviews I read many people quite using their kit lens and just use this as their walk around lens.

Rick M

Yea I'm in the same boat, the best I have to get a close shot is the 70-300vr, works great, but don't like taking flower pics from 10 feet away! The only negatives I've read is you need to be extremely close for 1:1, which is fine unless you like bug shots, which I don't care for anyway. I'm just looking to be able to get within 6 inches for sharp flower/small objects shots. This one seems to have a very high quality/price ratio also.

Rick M

Am I the only one who when he orders something just can't stand the wait till it comes in? Lens has been packed and should be shipped today.

You're not alone, when I order a lens I feel like a 12 year old on Christmas eve waiting for Christmas morning :)

Rick M

Here's what it can do, writing on a pen, raw, no PP. The writing was extremly small, 3 lines on a standard pen.

DSC_0014_1871.JPG

Lens is supposed to get here tomorrow (Friday 3/23/12) I get off at 1 so I hope is is here when I get home. Will give me a few hours of daylight to go play. Will post something from it as soon as I get it. Flowers are in full bloom here so there should be a lot to choose from.

bluenoser

Banned
Am I the only one who when he orders something just can't stand the wait till it comes in?

LOL! Nope....you've got lots of company. Sometimes I try to arrange to work from home so I don't miss the package. :p

Lens is supposed to get here tomorrow (Friday 3/23/12) I get off at 1 so I hope is is here when I get home. Will give me a few hours of daylight to go play. Will post something from it as soon as I get it. Flowers are in full bloom here so there should be a lot to choose from.

It's like the night before Christmas! Hope you enjoy your new toy.

bluenoser

Banned
I have stuff sent to where I work so I don't miss it! :)

I wish I could do that! I work for the Federal Government and when a package comes in for an employee - due to the huge bureaucracy - it takes forever to find it's way to you! (insert government efficiency joke now. :)) All the floors we work on are secured and can only be accessed by a security pass card so everything that comes in has to go to a central location and off it goes into the vast labyrinth of our interal mail system. Plus they look at everything that comes in from the outside with deep suspicion so doing that is frowned upon.

There is a world of difference between my kit lens and this 40mm Macro. This lens is so much sharper. I is noticeable even on a laptop monitor. I printed a 11 X 17 of the cropped image of the goose and it was by far the best print I have been able to get from this camera. The picture is not really that good but I had to see how it printed. Can't wait till a bright sunny day to see how it will really do.D3100_03_23_2012_2912.jpg
Here is a wide shot.