San Diego Marina 3/15/12

DW_

I took the trolley into downtown yesterday to putz around and see if I couldn't find something to shoot. It was a race against the clock because around mid-afternoon the marine layer comes in off the ocean and blankets everything with a rich mist. I love living so close to the ocean, the air is amazingly clean since it comes straight off the Pacific. This is a shot of the marina down by the USS Midway museum. You can see the marine layer moving in.

20120315-_1DW5480-sm.jpg

Rick M

Very Nice Dave! I like everything about it. The angle really shows off the boats well and preserves a level horizon. The use of B&W is nice with the clouds moving in. What lens did you use?

DW_

Oh shoot, I left it out. I had uploaded it earlier but had some problems and had to restart my browser, but then I spaced putting the camera/lens

D7k, 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5; f/13; ISO 125 @ 1/250 sec. focal length - 18mm.

Rick M

I was able to get everything except the lens, when I really like a shot, I like to keep track of the lenses which produced them.

DW_

I was able to get everything except the lens, when I really like a shot, I like to keep track of the lenses which produced them.

This lens is my only DX lens and is one of my favorites. It's not terribly fast but it's not the slowest, either. It works very well with my D70s and D7k, I believe it's the second widest DX lens Nikon makes, at least last time I checked it was. It came with my D70s and even thou it's officially a "kit" lens, it's almost too nice to be called a kit.

bluenoser

Banned
Hi Dave. This is lovely image. I grew up on the east coast (Nova Scotia) so I'm quite familiar with that marine layer rolling in! :)

A very nice, moody picture. Nicely exposed. As you shot at the widest setting for this lens (18mm) you appear to have some curvature at the edges (especially right edge - marina posts and far right ship seem to be tiled inwards). I would say some minor distortion correction would be useful.

Anyway, just a minor niggle (hey, it's called Photo critique for a reason! :)) for an otherwise superior image. Nice work Dave.

DW_

Hi Dave. This is lovely image. I grew up on the east coast (Nova Scotia) so I'm quite familiar with that marine layer rolling in! :)

A very nice, moody picture. Nicely exposed. As you shot at the widest setting for this lens (18mm) you appear to have some curvature at the edges (especially right edge - marina posts and far right ship seem to be tiled inwards). I would say some minor distortion correction would be useful.

Good point, I used the LR-4 lens calibration function for this lens and have since gone back and toggled it but time the tilt was still there. I'll give the manual adjustment a try.